Transmission shifting Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rajin Cajun

Reaction score
Hi guys, Did a search but couldn't find anything related so here goes...

2013 Raptor SuperCrew / 8,088 miles / No Modifications

My truck stays parked for 2 weeks at a time ( work out of state ) and after starting the truck and letting it warm up for a few minutes I back out of the driveway and when I put it in drive to drive away the transmission does not shift out of first. It will rev up and when I lift off of the throttle its almost as if the throttle is sticking. It just holds the RPM's for a few seconds then shifts into second. It also does this to a lesser extent when the truck has been sitting overnight.

I brought the truck in to the dealer yesterday evening and the technician took a look at it today. The Service Manager called me and said that the tech did experience the problem ( Thank God I'm not crazy! ) and that they were going to need to order parts. The Service Manager said that the torque converter is draining and that is whats causing the shifting issue. They are going to drop the pan and install a plug ( he didnt tell me where yet ) and see what else needs to be done...

Now, I've owned a few vehicles with automatic transmissions and have never had this happen before. Usually if a torque converter is draining there is some other issue... Can anyone shed any light on other problems that it could be so that I can be ready when I speak to the Service Manager again? I would greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, Did a search but couldn't find anything related so here goes...

2013 Raptor SuperCrew / 8,088 miles / No Modifications

My truck stays parked for 2 weeks at a time ( work out of state ) and after starting the truck and letting it warm up for a few minutes I back out of the driveway and when I put it in drive to drive away the transmission does not shift out of first. It will rev up and when I lift off of the throttle its almost as if the throttle is sticking. It just holds the RPM's for a few seconds then shifts into second. It also does this to a lesser extent when the truck has been sitting overnight.

I brought the truck in to the dealer yesterday evening and the technician took a look at it today. The Service Manager called me and said that the tech did experience the problem ( Thank God I'm not crazy! ) and that they were going to need to order parts. The Service Manager said that the torque converter is draining and that is whats causing the shifting issue. They are going to drop the pan and install a plug ( he didnt tell me where yet ) and see what else needs to be done...

Now, I've owned a few vehicles with automatic transmissions and have never had this happen before. Usually if a torque converter is draining there is some other issue... Can anyone shed any light on other problems that it could be so that I can be ready when I speak to the Service Manager again? I would greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks!

TQ draining sounds like BS to me. Soon as the truck fires up it will fill back up with ease. TQ drains somewhat anyways. Sounds like you have a underlining problem a weak front pump, sticky solenoid, low fluid level or some fins in the TQ have moved. Drop teh pan and install a plug where ?? in the TQ?? umm sorry that aint happening.

OP
OP
Rajin Cajun

Rajin Cajun

Reaction score
I agree hockster. There has to be something else. I think I'm going to pick it up before they do anything & take it to another dealership. I've never had any trouble with them before but this is a bunch of BS....

Bar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2011 did the same thing. Seemed to only happen when cold, and when I turned from a stop to coast down a hill. It would then catch. Haven't had it happen in my 2014 yet. Let us know if it solves it. I figured it was in the shift routine.

OP
OP
Rajin Cajun

Rajin Cajun

Reaction score
Sounds EXACTLY like my truck Bar. It really only happens when cold or when its been sitting up for a while.

I went and picked her up earlier and asked the service manager to explain exactly what they wanted to do. He said that they have had several trucks ( Not Raptors ) that have had the same symptoms and they installed a "plug" in the transmission to keep the torque converter from draining. That was all I needed to hear for me to look for another dealership to look into the problem. I will be leaving for my rotation Monday morning so I wont be able to bring it in until I return home in January so I'll post an update after I speak with them.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rajin Cajun your back, Good for you! Birman let you out for good behavior?

OP
OP
Rajin Cajun

Rajin Cajun

Reaction score
Rajin Cajun your back, Good for you! Birman let you out for good behavior?

:emotions133: Seriously guys! I'm NOT the one who was causing all of the trouble. I'm sure the mods or some other members can chime in for me. I just haven't been on in a while. LOL

But thanks for the welcome all the same justvettn! :cheers:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If there is a big temperature between the weeks not used then the PCM needs a few miles to readjust to the current settings it's driving in.

It doesn't do the next day right?