Transmission RPM change between gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FLHTC14bm

Reaction score
About a month ago our 11 SCREW dropped into limp mode as noted on many of the other threads. Finally we where able to drive it into the service bay IN limp mode so they could pull the codes. (this is the 2nd time it was in for the same issue). They ended up replacing some wiring inside the transmission and it hasn't gone into limp mode since. What it does do, some times (not always) is between the 2-3 shift or the 3-4 shift it will ever so slightly "change RPM", almost feels like it is putting the torque converter into lockup about half way through the shift sequence. No drop in MPG and no other oddities, just this "blip" halfway between the shifts once in a while. Has anyone else noticed this? I tried a thread search but came up with nothing (probably due to not knowing what to call this condition). Appreciate any/ all thoughts!

**stock, CAI, stock flash, new fluid/ filter - 62K on truck - new to us at 60K so do not know the maintenance history, truck is in good shape, above and below the belt line so pretty sure it wasn't abused to much**

richm

Reaction score
rpm change during shift

I'm not sure if this is exactly the same, but mine sometimes "over revs" during a shift. It can happen anytime, but seems worse on a part throttle scenario, where it's just holding speed before the shift. I had in the dealership under warranty 2 years ago and they replaced the valve body. It was ok for awhile, but it is doing it again. Mine is a 2010 with the 6.2. I only have 40k on mine and am the original owner, so I know it has not been abused. Ok, at least i KNOW what abuse it's had!

OP
OP
FLHTC14bm

FLHTC14bm

Reaction score
This is a little different - mine will shift into say 2nd gear, say 1500 RPM, as it rises in RPM, it will then "blip" (blip is about 200 RPM on the tach) at say 2,000, then continue to shift point for 3rd gear, sometimes, not all the time - also does it once in a while in the 3-4 range - it feels like then older transmissions used to go into torque converter lockup. I wondered if it was a purposeful "lockup" between gears to try and improve mileage?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One of the inherent advantages of an automatic transmission is that unlike a manual transmission, the automatic transmits power while a shift is in progress. This may be all that you're experiencing.

OP
OP
FLHTC14bm

FLHTC14bm

Reaction score
This is between shifts, not at shift points - about halfway between normal shift points there is an audible and visual (you can see the very slight RPM change) between normal shifts.............. guess i'll run it till it breaks........... and no playing in the desert :mad:

alwayscode390

Reaction score
I just came on to ask this same question. Mine seems to do it if I am slightly accelerating at around 2500 rpm it will hesitate like you explained then keep going. I am pretty sure its torque converter lockup. I had my 2003 HD F-150 do this also and the tuner told me it was lockup ---

Ghareeb

Reaction score
I am having the same issue on my 2016 model, is it something that can be resolved? Would the agency be able to resolve or we have to live with it? Please advise me because it is my first experience with the ford raptor

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the inherent advantages of an automatic transmission is that unlike a manual transmission, the automatic transmits power while a shift is in progress. This may be all that you're experiencing.

Ummm, not really. If there is not a gear engaged, there is no power transmission. The auto does not transfer power between gears, it simply can not. Worse yet for the OP, if rpm rises and speed doesn't increase, that is definitely not sending power downstream but it is slipping. Shift flare is what it is usually called. Not sure what the fix is on the f150.

1BAD454SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have to trigger a KAM reset. SCT tuner can do it as well as some OBD2 scanners. I did this to my 2010. When i triggered it and drove it . It started doing exact same thing you are describing . It took about 100 miles of stop and go driving for transmission to relearn and its been fine ever since. If i had not just done the reset i would of thought my transmission is toast.