Transmission heating up quickly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Nitefighter

Nitefighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely Don! Hey everyone just to let you know if your ever out in my neck of the woods it's not a good idea to go road test your truck by Evilmonkey's place of work. I had 8 people call the cops while the service manager and I were out there and Don has not heard the end of it since he's been back to work ***** haha. Yes the cops showed up and I got off with a warning to only do it during the weekends!

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm telling ya man it's been quite an ordeal to get them to see what I'm talking about. I'm glad that the service advisor and service manager haven't just tried to blow it off though. After these parts go in we'll see if that is the fix (most likely will be) and then I'll start saving for an Alpha 1 cooler!

Trans cooler well it is your money but try a bigger finned alum pan then flush at a shop that can do it with the thermostat (mine went to the dealer here) and fill with the Amsoil fluid... Spend the money on better fluid and 3 more qts on the pan if memory serves.

OP
OP
Nitefighter

Nitefighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans cooler well it is your money but try a bigger finned alum pan then flush at a shop that can do it with the thermostat (mine went to the dealer here) and fill with the Amsoil fluid... Spend the money on better fluid and 3 more qts on the pan if memory serves.

I will definitely take your advice on the larger pan and fluid. I may just wait a little longer and do all three as a Xmas gift to my truck!

wiz1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I know there has been a lot of debate over the years about trans fluid but my recommendation is NOT to change from the Ford LV type fluid.. A bigger pan hell yea but leave the fluid type alone. Just a recommendation from a guy who works in a Ford trans plant...:hmm:

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wiz-----Ford is to cheap to use the good fluid. Not going to happen. Fluids are a very easy area to upgrade in. Ford only cares about reliability during the warranty period plus if they built good products we would not be buying new ones as often lol.

Amsoil does make LV Fluid and if you feel Ford has a better product made for them than the Amsoil is well I don't even know where to start lol. Changed mine after tranny break in and has been in mine for a couple of years. Trans case uses regular Amsoil ATF.

Last edited:

wiz1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wiz-----Ford is to cheap to use the good fluid. Not going to happen. Fluids are a very easy area to upgrade in. Ford only cares about reliability during the warranty period plus if they built good products we would not be buying new ones as often lol.

Amsoil does make LV Fluid and if you feel Ford has a better product made for them than the Amsoil is well I don't even know where to start lol. Changed mine after tranny break in and has been in mine for a couple of years. Trans case uses regular Amsoil ATF.

Lets not high jack this thread "BUT" let me say this.
I have spoke with many engineers over the years in an honest capacity (it's part of my job) and I can tell you with the utmost certainty that Ford is NOT cheap when it comes to there fluid and it is not engineered to get the trans threw the warranty period. (which by the way is 100,000 miles with out touching it).
They spend MILLIONS of dollars a year in R&D just for trans fluid to meet the demands of the modern gear box. This is why they are fill for life...I know of not one truck that has had a fluid related failure..
I'm not dissing on Amsoil as I have no exsperance with it i'm just saying there is no reason to go there. You "could" be opening up your self to problems..
My moto is if it works and works well don't mess with it.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pretty good employee there---tows the company line and uses the required company medications... One reason why I run Amsoil lol.... I am about results and btw the industry specifically the company I work for (military aerospace) develops and passes down to the automotive industry the technological advances in lubrication products in which they modify for less demanding use in that industry. Yes that is a stone cold fact.

"This is why they are fill for life" I am sorry but the transmission fluid is not.... Need to talk to the engineers a little bit more..

Last edited:

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh Boss, being a company guy or not and you being in what business you are then you know that Ford oils are good. Its like which motor oil is the best, as long as it meets or exceeds the manufacturers specifications is good to use. I have the larger pan on my truck and I use Red Line oil why??? eh I got it for a great price, and when I worked for FOrd I used Ford oils why??? eh cause I got it for a great price... he he he
as for trying to keep you trans cool the larger pan will not help/ If you heat up 1gal of oil and it takes 10 minutes to get it up to 150deg 1.5 gal of oil will still heat up to the same temp just takes a bit longer, the good thing about the alum finned pan is it does dissipate some of the heat faster.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Eh Boss, being a company guy or not and you being in what business you are then you know that Ford oils are good. Its like which motor oil is the best, as long as it meets or exceeds the manufacturers specifications is good to use. I have the larger pan on my truck and I use Red Line oil why??? eh I got it for a great price, and when I worked for FOrd I used Ford oils why??? eh cause I got it for a great price... he he he
as for trying to keep you trans cool the larger pan will not help/ If you heat up 1gal of oil and it takes 10 minutes to get it up to 150deg 1.5 gal of oil will still heat up to the same temp just takes a bit longer, the good thing about the alum finned pan is it does dissipate some of the heat faster.

Hey nothing wrong with being cheap. On the other hand nothing wrong with going with BIC no matter what it is if at all possible. Oil is easy to do. As for your last paragraph--no sh$%!:mwah1: