Transmission down shifting (harshly) during normal excelleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZ SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what I'm seeing: during normal diving with trans in drive (D), a harsh down shift @ just over 20MPH. Feels like a 3-1 shift, then immediate up shift to 2 or 3 and then the cycle starts a again (because I automatically take my foot off the gas) . It's hard enough to make you think you lost the drive shaft or broke something. Also, after a few times the little wrench icon showed up in the display.

Testing I did:

if I put it 1,2, or 3 = no issues at any speed
in (D) and tow/haul same issue but it happens at 35 MPH
in (D) and Off-Road mode same issue but starts at 40 MPH

The truck in a 2010 5.4L with 58000 miles and has never had an issue of any kind before. The only other factor I can think of is it has been raining very hard for a week here (Alaska) and I have put a bunch of wet-road miles on it this week, but nothing extreme or very deep. Problem started suddenly, had been driving all day, normal around town stuff, and there was no engine-off cycle between it acting normal and the issue happening the first time. Right before it happened the first time I had come to a complete stop, backed up about 25 yards, the proceeded. Problem still continues after a few engine off/on cycles.

I'm thinking it's a computer issue, or maybe a wet connector anyone else had this problem?

Big Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had you battery disconnected ? Or any type of tune or flash ? If all no try disconnecting the battery. This will reset the cycle for down shifting if your connectors to the computer aren't shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what I'm seeing: during normal diving with trans in drive (D), a harsh down shift @ just over 20MPH. Feels like a 3-1 shift, then immediate up shift to 2 or 3 and then the cycle starts a again (because I automatically take my foot off the gas) . It's hard enough to make you think you lost the drive shaft or broke something. Also, after a few times the little wrench icon showed up in the display.

Testing I did:

if I put it 1,2, or 3 = no issues at any speed
in (D) and tow/haul same issue but it happens at 35 MPH
in (D) and Off-Road mode same issue but starts at 40 MPH

The truck in a 2010 5.4L with 58000 miles and has never had an issue of any kind before. The only other factor I can think of is it has been raining very hard for a week here (Alaska) and I have put a bunch of wet-road miles on it this week, but nothing extreme or very deep. Problem started suddenly, had been driving all day, normal around town stuff, and there was no engine-off cycle between it acting normal and the issue happening the first time. Right before it happened the first time I had come to a complete stop, backed up about 25 yards, the proceeded. Problem still continues after a few engine off/on cycles.

I'm thinking it's a computer issue, or maybe a wet connector anyone else had this problem?

I had a 2010 5.4 and it had the same problem after 20k miles it started that crap. In 4 times for service 2 megatronics(trans valve body) changed and some solenoids changed. It never got any better, finally I traded it in for the 2012. I have had zero trans trouble with the 12.

OP
OP
AZ SVT

AZ SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had you battery disconnected ? Or any type of tune or flash ? If all no try disconnecting the battery. This will reset the cycle for down shifting if your connectors to the computer aren't shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all stock. Tried the battery disconnect trick, no joy

OP
OP
AZ SVT

AZ SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2010 5.4 and it had the same problem after 20k miles it started that crap. In 4 times for service 2 megatronics(trans valve body) changed and some solenoids changed. It never got any better, finally I traded it in for the 2012. I have had zero trans trouble with the 12.

Well, that's not good to hear, but good information. I had it towed to Fairbanks (100 miles) and it's at the Ford dealer now. If they 'fix' it and happens again I might just drive it up there next time, let it rip the trans/transfer case/axle out of itself so they can replace the whole drive train. An unreliable off-road truck is unacceptable any where, but in Alaska it can get you dead! I'd be better off with an old beater I can reason with than with a computer controlled POS with not even transmission dip stick! I will say this much, it didn't leave me stranded, I could and did drive it home in 3rd gear, but this needs to be a one- time event. By Raptor standards, my truck leads a pretty boring life, no abuse, but plenty of time on bad roads a long way from any service.

---------- Post added at 01:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 AM ----------

Before having it towed to the dealer I did get under it pt look for any obvious broken, wet, or disconnected wires or plugs and fluid leaks. It looked good to me...

OP
OP
AZ SVT

AZ SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well, I'm not getting a new truck, just a new transmission. Guess we'll never know what was broke.....

OP
OP
AZ SVT

AZ SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK here's an update: My dealer put a new trans in and the shifting issue went away, however, now I have a new problem....

When we finally got the truck back, I was overseas, and my wife said "the transmission sometimes adjusts after I stop and a stop sign." A couple months later I got home and she was driving me home from the airport and it felt like she was lifting off the break just slightly after she came to a stop, the truck moved a little, then she applied more break and stop again. That's what it seemed like from the passenger seat, but once I drove it, that is not what's happening. What I was feeling was the suspension unloading; like there was torque still applied to the rear wheels, then, without any change in engine RPM or input from the driver, the torque is removed and the apparent pre-load on the suspension relaxes. When this happens, the truck feels like it lurches forward, but the wheels don't move at all.

Like I said, there is no apparent change in engine speed, it has a brand new transmission, and, just to keep me guessing, it dose not do this every single time, just most of the time.

Now I'm thinking it could be a suspension issue, so I start checking things and find I need new rear shocks (ouch!!) I bite the bullet and replace the rear shocks (left side was DEAD, right side was almost as bad, @ 61K). This was kind of a disappointment, since these shocks are so BA and I don't push my truck to the 'Raptor Limit.' I figured they would last to 100K, but no, they wear out, just like every other POS shock out there. The fronts are not leaking yet, but they are next, I'm sure.....

Any way, after the hyperventilating over the price of the shocks ended, I thought for sure I had found and fixed the problem, but no. It's still doing the same un-load trick at stops. Cold, normal operating temp, 4x4, 2x4, don't matter, does the same thing.

I about to take it back to the dealer to see if they can sort it out. My guess is the torque converter?