Transfer case being replaced...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steele16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the last few months, I've been chasing a 4wd gremlin that I thought was IWE related. Whenever I need 4wd, such as deep snow or sand, mud, whatever, and I'm on throttle heavy trying to get through, the truck will pop a few times, then completely lose 4wd. At first, it was just in certain high-bind situations.

The first thing the dealer, who is a very long time friend of mine, tried was replacing the vacuum harness. No better. Next we pulled the IWE's apart and inspected them, and it all looked fine. After that, we replaced a vacuum actuator that must be in control of the vacuum to the hubs. No change here either.

This sunday, a friend and I went to some local-ish sand dunes and were there for a few hours. I ran most the day in 2wd, then tried 4wd a little bit. As most of you know, sand is not the highest load situation to spin the tires in, so it should be fine, right? Wrong. By the end of the day the truck wouldnt stay in 4wd on even flat ground with minimal acceleration. This time when it started popping and clunking, I just stayed on throttle and let it grind and pop and do its thing, hoping to develop the problem to a point that we could find it.

Success! After the service writer, the owners son (close personal friend of mine) and a tech took my truck out in the snow today to make it act up, they drained the T-case and found it to be very metallic and low on oil.

Has anyone else blown up a transfer case yet? Its a '12 with 28,000 miles.

LasGod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Similar situation to mine, 2011 w/ 36,000km -- replaced transfer case, as well as front and rear drive shafts... issues I had were 4wd shift 'pop' and a large jerk from Park to Drive. Dealer diagnosed and replaced in two days including freight of the new parts. Very happy with the SVT service here in Canada.

HarleyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're having the same problem with our 2013. They replaced the front driver hub/actuator/and shaft. It was fine for a little while but the passenger side starting having the same problem. It's in the shop right now getting torn apart. They are at least replacing the actuator and hub. If that doesn't fix it, I'll ask if they check the transfer case.

---------- Post added at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

BTW, ours is a 2013 with 9,000 miles

OP
OP
Steele16

Steele16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Broke a CV last weekend. These torsen diffs cause a lot of issues. Next time I have an issue its coming out and a limited slip is going in

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That sucks... First I have heard of this... I will add it to the spreadsheet of problems..

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

You keep a spreadsheet... you'll have to share, I'm sure I'm on there, lol...

I had grinding noise anytime in four wheel right before Christmas.
dealer replaced the driver side axle.

Then after Christmas I had the loud pop noise. Was doing it on the pre snoball500 run. but wasn't consistent. The dealer had trouble finding the issue. Eventually replaced the passenger side IWE and that has seemed to fix it.

I'm sure I'll break it at TRR. (I know, run in 2 wheel...)

Yukon Joe
Buffalo Run Support Raptor
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=364119

spartanraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Similar situation to mine, 2011 w/ 36,000km -- replaced transfer case, as well as front and rear drive shafts... issues I had were 4wd shift 'pop' and a large jerk from Park to Drive. Dealer diagnosed and replaced in two days including freight of the new parts. Very happy with the SVT service here in Canada.

Was this super duper dealer you speak of in Calgary? If so which one?????
So far i cant even get them to do an alignment properly on mine lol

LasGod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was this super duper dealer you speak of in Calgary? If so which one?????
So far i cant even get them to do an alignment properly on mine lol

Sadly I'm with you, alignment issues and just terrible service period. This dealership is in kelowna, orchard ford, very nice people just too bad they're 650km away and I'm only in kelowna a couple months a year...

Sent from my LG-E971 using Tapatalk 2