Trailer Hitch Bumper Brackets Welded On At An Angle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R1jamn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Crystal.
I have a 2014 Raptor that I purchased from The Ford Store of Morgan Hill, California.
The rear bumper and bumper pad were bent when I picked it up from them.
I drove my new Raptor home (400 miles) and took it into my local Ford dealership for warranty replacement.

My local dealership took pictures and submitted it to FoMoCo and they were given authorization to replace the bumper and pad.

The dealership sent my Raptor and the new parts to a body shop on the property to perform the work.
The new bumper and pad were installed but the new bumper had a dent in it and the bumper still was not straight or aligned properly.

So the dealership took pictures again, and submitted them to FoMoCo.
Authorization to replace the dented bumper and pad was given and a new bumper and pad was installed again.
Unfortunately the alignment of the bumper is still a problem.

I explained to the service writer that the bumper is not aligning up because the bracket that holds the bumper is not straight. It was welded on at an angle.
The bracket that holds the bumper is welded to the tow hitch.
I need the whole trailer/tow hitch replaced, with one that is properly fabricated, in order to have the rear bumper aligned correctly.
I am getting nothing but the run around now from my local dealership.

This is unacceptable.
I have clearly shown them what the problem is.
The body shop manager also knows that the trailer/tow bracket is welded on at an angle and he agrees that it needs to be replaced.
The body shop manager said that it is out of his hands. He can only replace the parts that were delivered to him and his shop from the dealership.

I have inspected other Raptors and the bumpers are aligned perfectly..

Here are Pics showing the out of aligned bumper.
Also pics of the bumper mounting brackets on the trailer hitch that were welded on at an angle.
I had clamped a parallel to the brackets as a visual aid to show what is going on.

Please respond back so I can have this issue resolved in a timely and professional manner.

Thanks.

Gap on Drivers Side because of angled bracket.
20131209_142812_zpsa492e6bd.jpg

Correct alignment on Passenger side.
20131209_142850_zpsdf22c21d.jpg

Drivers side bumper bracket that was welded on at a angle.
IMG_2541_zpsa0af526c.jpg

Passenger side Bracket that was welded on nearly straight.
IMG_2542_zps182ff419.jpg

6gun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep us posted. This is pretty surprising...I would have expected the dealer to jump through hoops to make this right from the get go. From the pics, looks clear as day.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not the original dealer so they don't care. They're not gonna lose a customer if he ends up pissed off.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hello Crystal.
I have a 2014 Raptor that I purchased from The Ford Store of Morgan Hill, California.
The rear bumper and bumper pad were bent when I picked it up from them...

Hi R1jamn,

I received your PM and responded; check out your inbox for my reply.

Crystal

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine Ford not fixing this. It's clearly not right.

BTW, dealers make more money on service than on selling trucks, especially when they sell to guys like me who try to pay invoice. I read somewhere that for US auto dealers the service department is the gold mine. Some sell all cars just above invoice to get customers for their service dept.

Now, where there is a questionable claim a dealer may go out of their way to keep a long term customer happy, but this here looks pretty obviously wrong. If your dealer won't escalate demand to talk with Ford directly.

OP
OP
R1jamn

R1jamn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Crystal.
I have not recieved any correspondence from the regional customer care rep on this.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hello Crystal.
I have not recieved any correspondence from the regional customer care rep on this.

Hi R1jamn,

I reached out to your CSM and asked for a time frame in which he expects to contact you. As soon as I hear from him I'll let you know.

Crystal