TPMS malfunction?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

d.p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put my stock wheels back on after a year (already mounted and balanced) or so and got this message after 20-25 miles of driving. I tried to train the TPMS but after letting out 20 or so PSi form the front left (first tire to train) and the truck not honking I just gave up.

Anyone had this problem before?

imnewhere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it just say "TPMS MALFUNCTION?"

I've had an error that reads TPMS SENSOR FAULT, but not one like you describe.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does it just say "TPMS MALFUNCTION?"

I've had an error that reads TPMS SENSOR FAULT, but not one like you describe.

I keep getting this TPMS SENSOR FAULT too... after driving a while. Is it just a dead sensor, but takes a while to register?

OP
OP
d.p

d.p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's what it says. Truck sat for a couple days and now that message is gone. I imagine it will probably come back after 20 miles of driving through.

I was about to take it to Ford and have them retrain the sensors but it went off.

imnewhere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that you have a battery going bad in one of your sensors. If you have aftermarket wheels then it should be the sensor in your spare. If I'm wrong someone please correct me. Mine comes on every two weeks or so and then goes away.

OP
OP
d.p

d.p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that you have a battery going bad in one of your sensors. If you have aftermarket wheels then it should be the sensor in your spare. If I'm wrong someone please correct me. Mine comes on every two weeks or so and then goes away.

Stock wheels for me that sat for a year or so. So maybe a battery is dying? Pain in the ass to figure out which one though. :mad:

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No sensor in the spare from factory. I have had a random TPMS fault message 2 times on long trips in the last 3 months that goes away on its own. 5 years old with 45k on them so might be one or more starting to go bad. All preasures are good as well

imnewhere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny that you posted this when you did. Just got back from a 600+ mile trip to Tennessee for the VT/UT football game. My sensor fault light came on as soon as I left my house and stayed on the whole trip. May be time to replace the battery finally. I've got a 13... so I feel like 3-4 years is a long time for a battery anyway.

oplersx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had a 700km trip, "TPMS sensor faulty" came on twice while driving, then all went away on its own after 20~30 minutes.

OP
OP
d.p

d.p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck sat for a couple days and when I drove it the light was off and didn't come back on. So who knows what the problem is or was.