Tough time starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NikeAirFrce1

Reaction score
Hi everyone! First off, I would like to say thank you for your help in advance. These forums save my butt.

I bought a 2010 6.2L last month. I recently started noticing that the truck intermittently would have a tough time starting. A lot of times the truck would start up quickly, but sometimes it will struggle to turn over. It is not right after fillup, and seems to be random. It shakes a little bit after rough start then it settles down (smooth idle etc.). Does anyone have an idea as to what may be causing this? It could be something as simple as a fuel filter, but the randomness of these events has me puzzled. I have looked through the forums for an answer, but figured I would post based on my specific issues. Thanks again!

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Battery probably not at peak performance any longer.
Cleaning the MAF sensor should help with the sputting and shaking.
Couple of tank fulls of the best premium fuel you can find also may help.

OP
OP
N

NikeAirFrce1

Reaction score
Thank you. I wasnt sure on the battery, but I can check tomorrow. I will check out the voltage to see if that may be the issue. I also just stumbled upon the computer assisted startup (flick the key and engine cranks instead of holding). I am sure that you are aware of this feature...Is there any chance that because I was holding it in the 4th position to start it could cause the issue? I have run 3 full tanks of premium through the truck, and it doesnt seem to affect the startup. The battery will be step one then onto the MAF sensor. I suppose it cant hurt to change the fuel filter just to make sure.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"Factory Remote Start" should be press and hold ( about 2 or 3 seconds ) till you hear the horn beep once, then release the button.

The Mav

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FYI i believe the fuel filter is a "lifetime" part and it's part of the fuel pump assembly and located inside the tank.

OP
OP
N

NikeAirFrce1

Reaction score
Hey sorry for the confusion. I dont have a remote starter. Im talking about the computer assisted startup, which is the feature when your in the truck. You quickly flick the key in position 4 and the truck cranks itself over.

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

I had no idea the fuel filter was a lifetime part. That is definitely interesting and good to know!