Tore out wiring harness - need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bilwil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I had a bit of a hard landing and tore out the front driver side wheel well liner (Running BFG 37" projects on KMC wheels and mid perch) I should not have been pushing the truck hard until I got the fenders on . . . but you know how that goes LOL

In the process of tearing out the front fender liner the wiring harness was sucked down between the wheel and the upper control arm and stripped a bunch of wires. The harness is the large one that runs back along the frame towards the gas tank.

Does anyone know how hard this is to replace. Can I order it from the dealer and do it myself or does the dealership need to do this job? Anyone know what the cost of this harness is?

Thanks!

Bill

fjcoop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ouch. I am not sure what is involved with the repair. I had the fly wheel rub thru a few wire of the harness and the prospect of a full replacement seemed daunting and costly. We spliced then back together and was able to get the 4 runner started.

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did that at TRR this year. All I did was tape up the wires then the entire harness. It's now zip tied up off the inner fender out of harms way. Replacing the harness would be a royal pain in the ass.

OP
OP
Bilwil

Bilwil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For now I did the same. I taped up each individual wire and then taped them all together as well. Secured it above the fenderwell for now.

Need to get my new front end on with fender well liners.

I still want to replace it when the bed comes off. Shouldnt be too hard with the bed off. Seems to plug into the top of everything so its hard with the bed in place. I guess I will order it and keep it until the bed is pulled. I just worry about any wires that have been compromised when I take the truck into desolate locations and drive it hard. Like things to be as solid as possible to make sure we get home.

Thanks for the feedback and ideas.

Bill

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if its the wire harness on the drivers side, that is the whole vehicle harness. it will not be cheap to replace. maybe $4-5,000. i have seen how much it costs on other vehicles. we have had a few insurance jobs where the harness was destroyed and it took about 10 hours and the part was almost $3,000. granted, it was a different vehicle, but i dont think our truck will be cheaper. if its the harness on the passenger side fender, just repair it and connect it somewhere else.

OP
OP
Bilwil

Bilwil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if its the wire harness on the drivers side, that is the whole vehicle harness. it will not be cheap to replace. maybe $4-5,000. i have seen how much it costs on other vehicles. we have had a few insurance jobs where the harness was destroyed and it took about 10 hours and the part was almost $3,000. granted, it was a different vehicle, but i dont think our truck will be cheaper. if its the harness on the passenger side fender, just repair it and connect it somewhere else.

It is on the drivers side but only damaged from behind the big connector. The wires run back along the frame to the fuel tank and the rear lights as well as trailer hitch. I figure it will be expensive, but not half as expensive as being stuck out somewhere because I was too cheap to fix a problem that I was already to dumb to prevent LOL

I will let you guys know how much the harness is when I call Ford tomorrow.

Thanks!

Bill

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you are better off repairing the wires and relocating the harness. it is going to be a very expensive fix. since the wires run in a big bunch, you can solder and insulate them fairly easy. and secure them to the rest of the harness. they wont go anywhere.

andrew141

Reaction score
Did you ever figure out how expensive that was going to be? Broken exhaust melted my wires and I tried to fix mine temporarily but after the winter it failed and the brake lights and abs started turning on

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is on the drivers side but only damaged from behind the big connector. The wires run back along the frame to the fuel tank and the rear lights as well as trailer hitch. I figure it will be expensive, but not half as expensive as being stuck out somewhere because I was too cheap to fix a problem that I was already to dumb to prevent LOL

I will let you guys know how much the harness is when I call Ford tomorrow.

Thanks!

Bill
How expensive it will be and the path I would recommend would entirely be dependent on your electrical skills.
If your an experienced expert on wiring go buy the spoils and connectors and get to roping.
if you have some knowledge of how to crimp and shrink wrap I’d say buy a replacement harness and plug it in
If you havnt ever used a wire nut I’d say take it to the dealer and get ready to cry.

driver side forward of the firewall is prob the worst harness location to mess with, you have abs, fuel, ignition, instruments, and about 12 sensors.... I think in total there is near 32 wires but may be off..

Some of those wires are sensitive to resistance, some have specific gauge requirements, if you start splicing and soldering away you may end up with forever error codes.