Top Perch-Steering Stops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Just so I understand this can someone intelligently tell me if I am correct here?

I spoke with Bojangles this weekend because I noticed the protruding nub on the front side of the lower control arm(which I am calling the steering stop) looks pretty marred up on my truck.

Upon further investigation I can clearly see that a part on the lower hub assembly contacts that nub at full inner turn of either side.

I also noticed immediately after doing the top perch mod that I get the sensation of the front end lifting at full turn. I have to guess that the angle of the control arm is causing the steering stop to hit higher and the lower control arm gets pushed down. I am also assuming this is the reason for the excessive wear on the part.

Now can someone explain this intelligently?

MXrider38

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed the steering lift also. It has something to do with the way the suspension/steering geometry is. Im just too stupid to explain it. Hell suspension and steering spelled correctly was a feat for me.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just so I understand this can someone intelligently tell me if I am correct here?

I spoke with Bojangles this weekend because I noticed the protruding nub on the front side of the lower control arm(which I am calling the steering stop) looks pretty marred up on my truck.

Upon further investigation I can clearly see that a part on the lower hub assembly contacts that nub at full inner turn of either side.

I also noticed immediately after doing the top perch mod that I get the sensation of the front end lifting at full turn. I have to guess that the angle of the control arm is causing the steering stop to hit higher and the lower control arm gets pushed down. I am also assuming this is the reason for the excessive wear on the part.

Now can someone explain this intelligently?

Well, Birdy you seem intelligent enough to have figured this out for yourself. You need to see if the knuckle is riding up onto the arm because if it is then the half-shaft is moving a small amount further than designed. What I would do is get under there to watch it, and have someone in the truck to start it up and turn it until you see it touch, tell them to stop and then have the person finish the turn completely to see how much more the knuckle turns. If you see it move and ride up onto the arm I would make sure you do not go to full lock in a turn under power. You might be able to have a shop add a weld on to the knuckle to get that thing to stop where is was designed. Ill look at mine tomorrow and take a pic to show you what it looks like, I have the shock setting on the middle position. Maybe we can get a few comparison pics for you to get a better idea...

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been meaning to check mine since Bird pointed this out to me the other day.
Very curious to see how this all turns out.
I've been on the top perch for almost a year now, but do not feel the steering "lift"
I'll add my findings to the pot tomorrow

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
I've been meaning to check mine since Bird pointed this out to me the other day.
Very curious to see how this all turns out.
I've been on the top perch for almost a year now, but do not feel the steering "lift"
I'll add my findings to the pot tomorrow

Bo, your truck has considerably more weight in the front compared to anyone running the stock front bumper. I bet your truck sits with the front suspension a little more compressed than the others.

WannaRaptor62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bo, your truck has considerably more weight in the front compared to anyone running the stock front bumper. I bet your truck sits with the front suspension a little more compressed than the others.

that's what I was thinking too...also I think the +2 deaver with rear block removed might be about 3/4" lower than stock in the back....this may change the angle too???

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he has close to a year of stock top perch too though.

And I was on the top perch for a good while before adding the bumper or the deavs.

I'll see what's under their shortly.... Just doing a lil forum browsing with my morning coffee, haven't been outside yet.