Third Brake Light Red LED Out, Again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my first warranty claim was a blown Red LED in the third brake light. They replaced it and I made sure it was tightly screwed in. I had read about guys putting silicon around the edge to keep water out, but that seemed to be more for water getting into the cab.

Well I washed the bugs and dirt off from my fishing trip to Cana-DUH and sure enough, I have moisture in the lens and a blown Red LED. I'm over 50k miles and out of warranty. Anyone thing Ford will admit this is an issue and replace it, or should I just go buy one from FORDPARTS.com and silicon the crap out of it this time?

Any advice would be great.

Todd

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 3rd brake light will eventually fail and let water in. The issue is how ford seals the light. They use some sort of felt material. Felt absorbs water instead of repelling water. Ford should have used a rubber gasket. Rubber repels water and forces water to flow around it instead of through it.

twlhunter65

Reaction score
I have the Recon smoked 3rd brake light and its been two years with no problems. I did have an issue with thier tail lights taking on moisture, but they sent me a replacement.