GEN 2 Suspension with 200lbs in bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Magnetic1

Reaction score
Hello,
So another thing I figured out this morning is that when I carry about 200lbs of equipment in my bed of my raptor I get exaggerated vibration and a pretty uncomfortable ride. So anyone out there that has weight in their bed and has a issue with their ride quality, try pulling the load out and driving again, see if that helps. It almost feels like the truck is shuddering and hesitating just from the suspension float. Let me know if you guys test it out and see.

jbot

Reaction score
Just to toss in my two cookies, I've carried a few loads varying from 150-500lbs and I haven't noticed much change in the suspension and ride behavior. One of those was a couple boxes (~75lbs each) with a bunch of steel parts. The other was a full bed of random boxes of IKEA crap furniture that I hate. Ride was pretty consistent for both example loads.

OP
OP
Magnetic1

Magnetic1

Reaction score
Just to toss in my two cookies, I've carried a few loads varying from 150-500lbs and I haven't noticed much change in the suspension and ride behavior. One of those was a couple boxes (~75lbs each) with a bunch of steel parts. The other was a full bed of random boxes of IKEA crap furniture that I hate. Ride was pretty consistent for both example loads.
I just found that my pressure in my tires was all out of whack. The computer in car said between 36 -38 on all four tires. I checked with a gauge and found one back at 51 other at 48 and front at 45 and 46 psi...i just lowered all to 38 and will drive tomorrow with and without load to see if there is a difference in ride quality.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Computer in the car???? for airpressure?????????? poor truck is abused- what did it do to deserve this

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not much wonder gen2 get such a reputation and beat up on here. Sad because its a decent truck

OP
OP
Magnetic1

Magnetic1

Reaction score
It seems like when I have any load in the back of the truck I get an enhanced overexaggerated feel in the truck of each and every imperfection in the road. I feel it in my stomach and in the steering wheel. I have owned a truck before, but never one with this kind of suspension. It could be that I am overly sensitive to something normal for a truck with this setup. I guess one day I'll try to drive another gen 2 and see if it feels the same way to me...

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It seems like when I have any load in the back of the truck I get an enhanced overexaggerated feel in the truck of each and every imperfection in the road. I feel it in my stomach and in the steering wheel. I have owned a truck before, but never one with this kind of suspension. It could be that I am overly sensitive to something normal for a truck with this setup. I guess one day I'll try to drive another gen 2 and see if it feels the same way to me...

Your tires are f'd. Probably need a good balance. I run 50 psi (better handling and mpg) rides like a caddy empty or loaded.
There are a few threads how many of the new raptors arw coming with poor tire balancing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Magnetic1

Magnetic1

Reaction score
Your tires are f'd. Probably need a good balance. I run 50 psi (better handling and mpg) rides like a caddy empty or loaded.
There are a few threads how many of the new raptors arw coming with poor tire balancing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I will contact the dealer about balancing them then...lets see how that goes...

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 AM ----------

The best way to describe my issue is, when i hit an imperfection in the road, instead of getting a bump and return to normal. I feel that bump for an additional couple of seconds in a rebounding bounce...it is so noticeable to me that it makes the car feel like it is hesitating and jerking. I put the car into neutral and coasted over the same places a few times on the same roads and the feeling does not change much..with power to the wheels it is more pronounced, but coasting in neutral, the same feeling is there...does that sound like balancing, or me not knowing how a truck with suspension drives?