GEN 1 Sunroof crapped out this weekend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RC51TOFUMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sunroof crapped out. 2 loud pops as if it was binding on something. I assume the track broke.
I have the Ford ESP Premimum Care hopefully it's covered by the insurance.

SUCKS. I hardly use the sunroof.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1BAD454SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be covered, I had mine break twice along with rear slider once. I stopped using them since my warranty is up , I unplugged the connector from the switch panel.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Second truck second issue. Just had the track replaced by Ford along with idler pulley and tentioner and power steering pump. All covered by warranty. This sunroof issue along with rear defroster is epidemic.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I had mine replaced under warranty, the tech said since I hardly used it the grease got old and dried out making it bind and snap the plastic parts.
He said to clean and then wipe or spray a little white lithium on the parts twice a year.
This one of the reasons I purchase another Ext. premium warranty for 5 years (that's all they would give me) so I'm good till 2022, on my 2010 1/2
It's a $2,000 to $3.000 job, dealer cost anyway if they remove the seats like it says by Ford. LOL
The back slider I spray with wire/cable lube that we use on crane cables, never had a problem and opens and closes fast.

Last edited:

1BAD454SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Note on the rear slider. When you close it. window slides closed then you release switch . there is a lot of pressure on the tang of slider that the cable attaches to. If you blip the switch to open real quick it relieves the pressure off tang. Window has slight play to it. Mechanic said if you keep it tight it will break tang off due to summer and winter temp changes window expands and contracts.

OP
OP
RC51TOFUMAN

RC51TOFUMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sunroof crapped out. 2 loud pops as if it was binding on something. I assume the track broke.
I have the Ford ESP Premimum Care hopefully it's covered by the insurance.

SUCKS. I hardly use the sunroof.

Took it into the dealer...this past Monday. ESP will cover...awaiting on parts.....and dealer said to leave the truck with them for 2 days..for the repair

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

When I had mine replaced under warranty, the tech said since I hardly used it the grease got old and dried out making it bind and snap the plastic parts.
He said to clean and then wipe or spray a little white lithium on the parts twice a year.
This one of the reasons I purchase another Ext. premium warranty for 5 years (that's all they would give me) so I'm good till 2022, on my 2010 1/2
It's a $2,000 to $3.000 job, dealer cost anyway if they remove the seats like it says by Ford. LOL
The back slider I spray with wire/cable lube that we use on crane cables, never had a problem and opens and closes fast.

MTF...you purchased a 2nd ESP Plan? They let you extend your original ESP ? Who do I contact to extend my ESP ?
I purchased my ESP through Flood Ford....I called them...they said they don't do that.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just called my dealer three weeks before my original expired.
Show them this maybe it will help.
It's the only $0 deductible that they offer, $0 at that dealer and $50 if I go somewhere else.

Warranty.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
RC51TOFUMAN

RC51TOFUMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine expires 100k or may 2020
I am only at 47k miles

We'll do