Subtle metallic rubbing in front end?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bare with me as I'm know mechanic and don't know shit about parts or repairs -

Here goes... 2 different issues

1. I've noticed the last week that when I'm slowing down to a stop I have a dull metallic noise coming from the front end. This noise appears regardless of whether or not i'm using my breaks.

It will appear at just around 15-18 mph and remain until I've completely stopped. I hear it more when I'm making a turn but noticing it getting more obvious last couple days of driving.

2. When accelerating from a stop (1/4 throttle or so (lightly)) my motor sounds like a baby diesel sometimes. If I feather the throttle it will go away immediately upon heavier pedal. Once I'm at speed it tends not to be there and motor sounds normal. Again, it will only appear when under throttle and not idle or heavy throttle.

Thoughts or statements?

Bonus question - Stock Shocks - I'm at 56k miles and still original - have the corrosion around the caps but no sign of leakage. What should I be noticing to tell me it's time to change them out?

Thanx in advance...

Last edited:
OP
OP
RaptorScrew

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update:

Metallic Noise was UCAs - being replaced

Baby Diesel Sound - They're pulling everything apart to check coils and everything down to the plugs. There is a firing issue when the piston is going up creating this noise when the engine is cold. Once truck warms up noise is gone.

I have ESP to 100k but have been told that my plugs are rated for 90k miles (I'm at 56k) If they find AFTER the teardown that it's not a coil or something and it's the plugs; I'm on the hook for the whole teardown. $700 + dollars.

(VENTING HERE) - Why the hell would you put in 90k plugs and if they go bad at 56k charge your customer?! That's BS. I understand plugs are maintenance but that's stupid. (RANT OVER)

I'll keep up on the posts...

Crystal - @FordService - For your review - I'll touch base with you once I hear more from my dealership:

Rochester Ford
4900 US-52
Rochester, MN 55901

Service Rep: Josh Bartley - Excellent to work with!

Last edited:
OP
OP
RaptorScrew

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update:

Left my truck there for the 60k service -

Replaced UCAs and replaced left side hub/iwe that was replaced in February.

Leaving the motor alone - Luckily I have a cool mechanic that works with me. I have an SVC tune in this and mechanic recommended that I run a full tank of 93 Octane for the tune. He's heard on performance forums that the 6.2L tends to have a pre-mature spark with tunes if not running Premium.

If that doesn't make it go away he recommended removing tune and taking truck back to stock and running a full tank of 87 octane. He's pretty sure one of those scenerios will remove the noise.

WHEW! That's great news from a good guy.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update:

Left my truck there for the 60k service -

Replaced UCAs and replaced left side hub/iwe that was replaced in February.

Leaving the motor alone - Luckily I have a cool mechanic that works with me. I have an SVC tune in this and mechanic recommended that I run a full tank of 93 Octane for the tune. He's heard on performance forums that the 6.2L tends to have a pre-mature spark with tunes if not running Premium.

If that doesn't make it go away he recommended removing tune and taking truck back to stock and running a full tank of 87 octane. He's pretty sure one of those scenerios will remove the noise.

Just caught up to this thread. Glad you got the majority of your issues corrected.

So, are you running a 93 tune with a lower octane fuel? Where did you get your Tunes? I run a 93 performance currently from 5Star. I had the same noise. I got a few bad fill-ups. I ran some Sea Foam and i THINK that helped with the issue. I try to get my gas from the same place if I can.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update:

While it does say in the manual that you can run 87 octane.
It also states if you get pinging! "Bring in for Service"

Why people want to run 87 octane in a 16 spark plug engine just makes me shake my head.
All you'll whined up doing is fouling the plugs sooner.
Any way 91 or better is recommended in the manual.
That's for the stock Tune!

OP
OP
RaptorScrew

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just caught up to this thread. Glad you got the majority of your issues corrected.

So, are you running a 93 tune with a lower octane fuel? Where did you get your Tunes? I run a 93 performance currently from 5Star. I had the same noise. I got a few bad fill-ups. I ran some Sea Foam and i THINK that helped with the issue. I try to get my gas from the same place if I can.

SVC Tune - I was told that we didn't need to run 93 Octane. Thought that was ok. Lesson Learned.

While it does say in the manual that you can run 87 octane.
It also states if you get pinging! "Bring in for Service"

Why people want to run 87 octane in a 16 spark plug engine just makes me shake my head.
All you'll whined up doing is fouling the plugs sooner.
Any way 91 or better is recommended in the manual.
That's for the stock Tune!

Again: lesson learned

I've always run 87 and never gave it a thought. I have now!

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While SVC will allow you to run 87 octane, you will need to change (Remove some) Global Spark.
This also will reduce pinging and you will take a HP hit.
Call SVC to get the clear understanding about their Tune.

But again, if you can, try to use nothing less than 91

Especially now that gas is much cheaper.