Stuck shock collar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
So installed my R1 concepts brake kit today. Looks and performs awesome so far. Took my time and made sure to install and break in per instructions. I also really wanted to move to mid perch at the same time. Since this is Ohio I soaked all bolts and as much of shock collar as I could with PB blaster the previous day. Then let it sit overnight. When tying to move the collar up after removing the set screw I noticed some corrosion and that the collar is stuck. I tried a hammer, then a small sledge, then a propane torch, then got frustrated and put things back together before I got really pissed and went all Lizzy Borden on it. Any other ideas I should try with the shock remaining on the truck? My wife and I will be at TRR this year so thinking about having it done while there if I can't get it to budge.

OP
OP
mmaterni

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast reply. It's a daily driver so I guess I'll just have to come back to it another day. Saw a previous post about using the trucks weight and a 2x4. Maybe I'll try that.

Threepointtwo

Reaction score
I just did the mid perch modification on my truck and that collar was good and stuck! I spent hours trying to get it to move. I used PB Blaster, heat, gentle persuasion, mild persuasion and then finally, a BFH. It took a 4 lb sledge directly to the bottom of the collar to get it to budge. Part of the problem is the protective vinyl sticker which I removed a portion of on the second shock before starting. This made the second one go much quicker.

There was some corrosion around the snap ring that really bound up the collar good. It doesn't appear to be a long term problem though- just surface corrosion.