Strong Smell of antifreeze but no visible leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marioec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HELP !!!
My 2014 Raptor for the past few weeks after driving to operating temperature I can smell coolant, at a stop light or anytime I shut it off and walk by it. The smell is getting stronger to the point I can sometimes even smell it when I'm driving. Ive checked the coolant level and it was in the low mark. It doesnt overheat or anything like that either. No leaks, cant find anything anywhere around the radiator..noooo where. Whatever it is im sure its not good but I gotta find it. Is there anywhere else that could leak or cause the smell of coolant. Im stumped :mad:

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check up around the thermostat housing. The engine temp would be burning off a small leak. I had that same thing happen last fall. Kind of ignored it. Thermostat went out WAY back in the woods at Snowball in January. I'm just guessing at what might be your issue......

Don't know if the two issues are related but it's a place to start. If you still have any warranty left, take it in and let the dealer pressure the system up to find a possible leak. Or, you could do it yourself once it gets up to operating temperature. Sounds crazy, but leaks like these are sometimes easier to find at night with a flashlight. You might notice a few bubbles or light steam with a flashlight easier than in the bright sunlight.

Good luck, and keep us posted with you findings.......