On street- Manual shifting from 1st to second HARD slam from tranny at 4k+ rpm someti

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Sometimes when I am on the street going from first to second in Manual, I shift around 4 or 5k and I feel a big CLUNK/SLAM noise like a train that had loose slack in it then all of a sudden pulls. I can hear the slam noise on the body pretty loud too, like a lot of stress.

I use street traction mode sometimes too, might happen more then, but I am not sure.

Anyways, It never use to happen.

20k miles, 1 year old.

Any thoughts on what this is?

I had a loud 4wd shift issue too, so maybe its moving from 4wd to 2wd?

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got the same thing. Dealer re programmed tranny, helped some but still does it. It is hard enough to sqawk the tires

OP
OP
K

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, does that have to do with my engine tune? they reprogrammed once a long time ago to fix the 4wd issue then I returned and haven't noticed it until a few weeks ago on the 2wd shifts.

Is the engine tune and tranny tune separate?

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I do not have any engine / tranny tunes on the truck. Mine is bone stock. Happen worst in a parking lot setting. It is like the truck thinks I am going to mash the pedal and hold first gear too long, then slams it into 2nd on me

Timgco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not have any engine / tranny tunes on the truck. Mine is bone stock. Happen worst in a parking lot setting. It is like the truck thinks I am going to mash the pedal and hold first gear too long, then slams it into 2nd on me

same here!

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Must be the Silver ones! I'll ask around a little more with my Ford guys and see if they can point me to some one.

OP
OP
K

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea I notice my shift patterns have been out of wack for the past 5k or so miles. (21k total so far).

When I coast on the surface streets for a block, the engine does some crazy down shift engine braking it never use to do. Its a hit or miss,might depend if I hover the pedal or not with my foot, it seems to be that sensitive. I was thinking it was my throttle body cause of my K &N intake letting dirt through, because I just cleaned it...