Steering Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Huck , digging this one up from the grave. Did you go with a SCREW rack and what is your feedback after a good bit of time with it if so?

OP
OP
Huck

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Huck , digging this one up from the grave. Did you go with a SCREW rack and what is your feedback after a good bit of time with it if so?

I did go with a Screw rack.

Actually i wouldnt recommend it. After driving on it for over a year, it still twitchy. Offroad its fun, but on the road, you would be better off with the standard scab rack.

I should also mention that i havent done a single off road event since i installed it, and its blown. There is a ton of slop in the rack. Closest thing it has seen to off road is @Labraptors drive way. 1/4 of gravel.

With that, it had more slop in it since the day i installed it than my old rack. so in 3 years, this makes rack #4 thats toast.

It's poor design on ford's part. The input shaft is on the drivers said as we all know, there is no bushing that locates the rack on that side. So the rack piston is free to move around, and it destroys the backlash.

There really is no way around it. I have thought about machining my own bushing at work, but i havent taken the front end apart to get dimensions.

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yeah I hate the whole setup, I'm about to put in the howe ps kit and my rack is going so I'm going to replace it at the same time. Just wanted to make sure I put the best option in the first time around, plus it looks like the screw rack is cheaper on rock auto. Shame howe didn't make a rack to go along with their kit.

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Probably about ready for another rack on mine as well. Little bit of slop in the rack plus it also doesn't want to turn well when stopped.

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Probably about ready for another rack on mine as well. Little bit of slop in the rack plus it also doesn't want to turn well when stopped.

lol mine is clicky and whiney, shit's nearly toast

OP
OP
Huck

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yeah joe.

When you turn the wheel there is too much input for the wheelbase. Since the ratio's are different.

I just replaced the LCA's trying to narrow down the slop and clunk. But its still there, and it has to be from the rack. I have about 20 degrees of wheel input before it engages the rack.

Unfortunately there is no way to adjust the pre-load.
There is a bushing that presses against the pinion/ rack but its a bitch to get to and properly torque.

There needs to be a slack adjustment for the engagement of the rack/pinion so set the proper backlash.