Starting System Fault (and others) - truck won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

azoufan

Reaction score
I've searched pretty hard here and across the Googles (yes, all of the Googles, every one of them...). I went to hop in the truck today and it wouldn't even attempt to start. I got in succession:

• Hill Descent Control Fault
  • Starting System Fault
  • Low Oil Pressure
  • Service AdvanceTrac
  • Engine Overtemp
  • Generic wrench icon

From what I've found it could be a poor battery connection, a key issue (using the spare typically resolves it, and also using remote start possibly), need to pull fuse 18 or the 3rd brake light got moisture in it. I have checked all of these scenarios in succession, and no luck. I get climate control, radio works, arm / disarm works, lights work. The truck will not turn over, remote start will not engage and using the spare key doesn't change anything.

From what I've been reading on the 3rd brake light issue, it was limited to 2010's mostly, TSB was out on it, and it causes the first error message on the display, but doesn't keep the truck from running.

I'll need to flatbed this thing to the dealer as it is not running now. I live in AZ, we haven't had rain in maybe 2 months. I pulled into the garage yesterday after running around, no issues at all leading up to this morning, no indication anything was wrong. I replaced the battery about 2 weeks ago. I got the truck washed almost exactly a week ago, and I've driven it maybe 300+ miles since then, and started it / turned it off probably a dozen times since the wash, 20 times since the battery, no issues at all.

I'm stumped, anyone have any idea on how to get this running so I don't have to get it towed and wait several days for them to look at it? I cannot determine what the underlying issue might be here. Truck is a 2014 with 30,500 miles, still under warranty, just wanting to avoid the multi day extravaganza. Have an appointment to get my shocks rebuilt Wednesday, this could put a damper on that.

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Starter relay went bad on mine.

Check all the ground connections you can find. There used to be a diagram around here, showing them all, but I don't know where to find it.

OP
OP
A

azoufan

Reaction score
Truck is fixed. When They first looked at it they said the pcm was completely blank, no info in it. Looks like it was power. Per the paperwork:

Have no power at F78 indicating no relay output. Inspected relay and found one pin spread. Tightened terminal and rechecked. Vehicle started and runs.

No idea how that shook loose over the past few weeks or so. Truck hasn't been off-road in about a month now. Ran perfectly fine Friday, dead Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philo Beddoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to ask, did this permanently fix your issue? I've been dealing with this same issue for 4 months, 2 dealers and 5 tows. The dealers in my area have flashed the pcm, replaced the pcm, and just kept it for multiple days at a time twice. Mine appears to be intermittent as the dealers claim they can't get the situation to repeat itself once towed in. I'm really interested to know if this fixed your issue because I'm so fed up I may trade the thing in tomorrow. Thanks for any update you can give.