Starting issues... WTF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...Any ideas on what this could be or how to trouble shoot it? This is the worst kind of problem I can think of because it makes my truck completely unreliable.... kind of a big deal since I drive it for work.

Hi Drunktank,

It sounds like you're going to track down this issue yourself, but if you run into any difficulty and want to try the dealer again, let me know. What's the current mileage on your Raptor?

Crystal

OP
OP
D

Drunktank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a major problem in the ass, lol, that's what it is. Like others have just mentioned, it is located on the intake, 2 little nuts to take off and unplug it, plug in the new one and put the nuts back on. Would definitely replace that and go from there.
Can that stupid little thing actually keep the engine from starting up though? My engine has always had that little tap noise to it... Always thought it was a valve/top end thing.

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

Hi Drunktank,

It sounds like you're going to track down this issue yourself, but if you run into any difficulty and want to try the dealer again, let me know. What's the current mileage on your Raptor?

Crystal

Think I have about 37000 on the clock. I have an extended bumper to bumper warranty to 75000.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...Think I have about 37000 on the clock. I have an extended bumper to bumper warranty to 75000.

Thanks, Drunktank. If you'd be interested in continuing to work with your dealer on this, PM over your details; I'll notify your regional customer service manager so they can assist. When writing, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can that stupid little thing actually keep the engine from starting up though? My engine has always had that little tap noise to it... Always thought it was a valve/top end thing.

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

Think I have about 37000 on the clock. I have an extended bumper to bumper warranty to 75000.
Yes and no, it kept mine from starting everytime I got gas, it would just turn over and over, after the 3 or 4 th time of trying to start it, it would sputter and cough and finally start up. It causes the engine to get flooded with fuel, from what I understood, eventually both of my catylitic converters sent codes!

OP
OP
D

Drunktank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Drunktank,

Crystal
Aaaaand here I sit again... Dead as a door knob on the side of the road. Stopped to pick up a key about 30 minutes ago, wouldn't start. Called a tow truck after trying to start it about 7 times... Then while I was waiting, I tried again and it started.

Drove about 15 minutes... Parked. Came back out to start it.... Aaaaand nothing. ******... Nothin. And I'm waiting on a tow truck again. ��

Closest place is still cal worthington in long beach so that's where it's going. Let's pray it's still not starting by the time it gets towed there.

Best part: all my stuff is packed in here, ready to head home to Colorado for a long weekend. Guess I'm staying in Long Beach

Last edited:

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May not be related but, I had a problem like that on my '97 Lincoln MK VIII. It would randomly do what your are saying. It turned out to be something with the anti theft system. In the end, the PCM needed to be re-flashed.

OP
OP
D

Drunktank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got her to the dealer and the service guy and the mechanic thatll be working on it both were able to witness it not starting so now there's no question it has an issue. First guess from all of them is its fuel pump/fuel system related since its not throwing any codes. Apparently that's the only part of the vehicle that doesnt have its own sensors... so they say.

They are gonna dig into it tomorrow... guess we'll see what happens!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
could be, the canister purge valve doesn't throw codes either, only when it flooded both my cats did they throw codes, yours sounds like it may be a similar but different problem, you should get them to change that cpv anyway while its in there! its cheap.

OP
OP
D

Drunktank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... turned out it was a blown fuse to the fuel pump. Believe fuse number 27? The module wasn't receiving power.

Odd thing... if it was as simple as a fuse... How in the hell was it getting power to run at all and give me these random? IM used to a fuse blowing and then whatever it powered doesnt work AT ALL. The Service adviser Anthony was basically completely useless. Ill never go to that dealer again.

Can someone tell me how the hell this fuel system works?

I cant wait till I get out of CA (at least this area). 6 more months!!! Then its off to Texas or Florida! Cant fawkin WAIT!