Starting issues... WTF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunktank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So about two weeks ago, I went to start my truck and for the first time ever... it didnt start immediately. It just cranked and cranked and cranked... but never fired. I attempted stating it twice more and finally it turned over and fired up.

Since then, Its done that three other times. One of them being this last Monday morning where I had to try and start it 5 times before it finally fired up... then again last night where I attempted to started about 15 fawking times and it refused to fire up (both by keyless start and keyed start). I ended up having to get it towed to a dealership (Cal Worthington in Long Beach, CA) and dropping it off... great way to ruin a night. Mind you, between each of these occurrences, the truck started up perfect... so its completely random the best I can tell.

And wouldn't you know, the dealer couldn't reproduce the problem. Fired right up for them this morning. They told me to come pick it up and said since they cant reproduce the issue... nothing they could do and they weren't going to look into it. Even told me that Id just have to keep getting it towed in and hope that the problem stuck around for them to witness. (seriously... what Ford Service uses THAT as solution?)

Any ideas on what this could be or how to trouble shoot it? This is the worst kind of problem I can think of because it makes my truck completely unreliable.... kind of a big deal since I drive it for work.

vince7870

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no code no problem! don't worry it will shit the bed for the last time and will throw a code. sounds exactly like what just happened to me! god help you. the $10 part is on backorder all over the country. battery junction box. look at my thread in the problem forums. someone posted the part number.

mine would do that as well as random stalls and weird studder on hard acceleration. thats what finally did it....full mash on a hi way entrance.....dead at 70 mph....never started again.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had this happen to me, but only after I put gas in it, it was the "canister purge valve". Up here in Canada its a $300 repair at the dealer, I think others have said the part is $30 bucks south of the border and easy to replace yourself.

OP
OP
D

Drunktank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no code no problem! don't worry it will shit the bed for the last time and will throw a code. sounds exactly like what just happened to me! god help you. the $10 part is on backorder all over the country. battery junction box. look at my thread in the problem forums. someone posted the part number.

mine would do that as well as random stalls and weird studder on hard acceleration. thats what finally did it....full mash on a hi way entrance.....dead at 70 mph....never started again.

Read your thread... definitely doesnt sound like that. Once started, she runs like a ***** ape.... no problem at all. Its only a random ass starting issue.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

I had this happen to me, but only after I put gas in it, it was the "canister purge valve". Up here in Canada its a $300 repair at the dealer, I think others have said the part is $30 bucks south of the border and easy to replace yourself.
WTF is a canister purge valve? Where can I find it? Anymore info?

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to replace the purge valve on mine too, a 2012. It is easy to replace and any parts store can get it. Mounted on side of intake manifold, back by throttle body.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Read your thread... definitely doesnt sound like that. Once started, she runs like a ***** ape.... no problem at all. Its only a random ass starting issue.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

WTF is a canister purge valve? Where can I find it? Anymore info?
Its a major problem in the ass, lol, that's what it is. Like others have just mentioned, it is located on the intake, 2 little nuts to take off and unplug it, plug in the new one and put the nuts back on. Would definitely replace that and go from there.