Squeeking from rear/ Loose leaf spring bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a really bad squeaking coming from the rear end whenever the suspension would move the slightest on my 12 crew cab. Took it to the dealer under warranty and they said it's coming from the left side leaf spring bolt that attaches to the frame by the gas tank. According to ford, they said it wasn't tightened down all the way when it was taken off. The frame part that the bolt goes through stretched about a quarter inch and there isn't any way to tighten the bolt. Ford won't warranty it and says its $1,100 to replace that part of the frame because it appears it was a mechanics error. That bolt has never been touched or loosened and I don't know why that would have happened. Any thoughts or ideas of how to fix it?

D

Deleted member 12951

You buy the truck used? Is it the stock leaf springs (I assume since its facing that way)? That bolt should be torqued to 258lb-ft. Not sure how the dealer can say that it wasn't torqued by Ford correctly, like those assembly line workers never make mistakes....

Perhaps try something like an Acres Sleeve and I would replace the bolt. Will have to cut-off to get out.
http://www.clickbond.com/files/Documents/ACRES_Sleeve_Products.pdf

OP
OP
BigGriff023

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You buy the truck used? Is it the stock leaf springs (I assume since its facing that way)? That bolt should be torqued to 258lb-ft. Not sure how the dealer can say that it wasn't torqued by Ford correctly, like those assembly line workers never make mistakes....

Perhaps try something like an Acres Sleeve and I would replace the bolt. Will have to cut-off to get out.
http://www.clickbond.com/files/Documents/ACRES_Sleeve_Products.pdf

I did buy the truck used. They are stock leaf springs and all stock suspension in the rear. They are saying that someone took the bolt out for some reason which makes no sense. I plan on going to deaver springs soon, will that affect anything in the way I repair it?

D

Deleted member 12951

I did buy the truck used. They are stock leaf springs and all stock suspension in the rear. They are saying that someone took the bolt out for some reason which makes no sense. I plan on going to deaver springs soon, will that affect anything in the way I repair it?

You can't take the bolt out without dropping the gas tank or cutting it off. So unless that happened, perhaps someone started to take it out then realized it doesn't come out and put it back and didn't tighten to torque. Being a 2012, it still have a warranty or extended?

The same type bolt is used even with going with Deavers or any aftermarket leafs so it won't make a difference if the hole is messed up. You put the bolt in the opposite way (unless you drop the tank). Look for a write-up on doing that, you will see that almost everyone cuts it off and replaces.

Gilligan

Reaction score
Take it to SVC and get their opinion, especially if you're looking to get deavers anyhow..

OP
OP
BigGriff023

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't take the bolt out without dropping the gas tank or cutting it off. So unless that happened, perhaps someone started to take it out then realized it doesn't come out and put it back and didn't tighten to torque. Being a 2012, it still have a warranty or extended?

The same type bolt is used even with going with Deavers or any aftermarket leafs so it won't make a difference if the hole is messed up. You put the bolt in the opposite way (unless you drop the tank). Look for a write-up on doing that, you will see that almost everyone cuts it off and replaces.

I am familiar with the process on how to get the bolt in and out and agree with you that someone probably got scared, and decided not to do it. I bought the full extended warranty when I bought the truck 3 months ago.

According to Ford, the bolt isn't able to be tightened all the way because of how stretched the hole has become which is why I was wondering about any issues when I switch springs. I don't wanna put a new bolt and springs in if it will move around and create more damage like it's been doing.

D

Deleted member 12951

I am familiar with the process on how to get the bolt in and out and agree with you that someone probably got scared, and decided not to do it. I bought the full extended warranty when I bought the truck 3 months ago.

According to Ford, the bolt isn't able to be tightened all the way because of how stretched the hole has become which is why I was wondering about any issues when I switch springs. I don't wanna put a new bolt and springs in if it will move around and create more damage like it's been doing.

Fix the hole