Sky Link GPS uninstall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sashishimo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a sky link vehicle recovery added at dealer. After reading the terms and conditions of Sky Link, i decided to remove it myself. Few quick questions, as I have little to no electrical knowledge.

The dealer installed it in the driver side panel near the parking brake. Looks like they used wire taps with male and female ends. I unplugged the connectors and removed the unit.

My question is, I know the connections are still active, but are they drawing any power? Should I remove the wire tap and wrap with electrical tape? Or just put some tape or silicone over the end of the tap and leave connected.

Second question, does anyone know the wires used for skylink? I believe one was a thick orange wire [im assuming the constant power] and the other was quite thin….dont remember the color.

Any advice? Do I need to be worried about any possible shorts? Thanks guys

Last edited:

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think you'll be fine leaving it be. You could disconnect it though and tape it up. My first assumption was constant 12v and a remote 12v but I'd think it has to be constant 12v and a ground if there's only two.

OP
OP
sashishimo

sashishimo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way it sounded to me was that they can give your information to a list of 3rd parties. I understand giving my vehicle location to aid in the recovery of my vehicle if it was stolen. But if I am not using the services for that, i feel its an invasion of my privacy to share my info with 3rd parties.

Just wasn't for me.

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

I think you'll be fine leaving it be. You could disconnect it though and tape it up. My first assumption was constant 12v and a remote 12v but I'd think it has to be constant 12v and a ground if there's only two.

You are correct, there were three wires. One ground, one skinny, and one fat (i believe orange). Would the remote 12v be that much smaller than the constant? I hate knowing that there is a quick connect on a main line in the harness. You guys see any potentials for problems?