replacing loss key? dealer programming needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

c4sxm5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
purchased a used 12 Raptor and the previous owner only sent me 1 key? local dealer states new key will cost $160 and $120 to program the new key...but after searching online it seems i could program the myself. the part that confuses me is do I need to programmed keys to program a 3rd new key? or just 1 good key to program a 2nd one?

basically trying to avoid paying the $120 programming if possible.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
First, I thought keys now days were stupid expensive. Second, I've heard the needing two working keys to program spares before on fords but I'm no expert.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
usually all the keys need to be programmed at the same time. i dontbelieve you can just add a key whenever you want. it would require all keys present at time of programming. and that programming fee is highway robbery. my neighbor is an audi mechanic and the dealership charges close to what you were quoted, however it takes him less than 10 minutes to program the keys.

Glassman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the way it works if you want to DIY you need two keys to program the third. My recamendition is to always have at least three so if you lose one you can make your third. If you only have one you will need the dealer to program at least the second key once you have two then you can program as many as you want or need to feel backed up. The time needed to program additional keys is seconds. To program a new key to your truck first the key needs to be cut then with the two keys that work insert the first key turn to the on position three times with in 5 seconds then insert the second key and repeat finally insert your new key and repeat this will program the third key to the trucks memory.

locktech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple answer: Yes you need the original keys to program an additional. The onboard computer must now be reprogrammed at the dealer. Yes it's ridiculously expensive!

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Locktech - Based on your username, I'm assuming you'll know the answer. Can you please confirm if the following is true?

I've always purchased a 3rd key at the dealership on the day I take delivery of any new vehicle. I was once told that you don't necessarily need the original keys, but you do need two keys to add another. It's relatively inexpensive to add a 3rd key if you already have two, but it gets expensive to add a 2nd or more if you only have one. Many of the vehicles I've owned, I just have the 3rd key cut and then program it myself.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On fords you do not need original keys. Just two programmed keys to make a third.

locktech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Locktech - Based on your username, I'm assuming you'll know the answer. Can you please confirm if the following is true?

I've always purchased a 3rd key at the dealership on the day I take delivery of any new vehicle. I was once told that you don't necessarily need the original keys, but you do need two keys to add another. It's relatively inexpensive to add a 3rd key if you already have two, but it gets expensive to add a 2nd or more if you only have one. Many of the vehicles I've owned, I just have the 3rd key cut and then program it myself.

Every manufacture can vary. Ford's process is when programming keys you have to insert the already programmed keys before an additional can be programmed. Ford programs the first two at the factory.

If you lose one of the two original the on board computer must be reprogrammed

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

On fords you do not need original keys. Just two programmed keys to make a third.

In that case it means the on board computer has already been reprogrammed once. If you have two working keys and the are not the originals.

OP
OP
c4sxm5

c4sxm5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone it sounds like I will have to pay the dealer to program at least the 2nd key and from there can do a third if needed.... Will call around and see if I can find a cheaper programming fee.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every manufacture can vary. Ford's process is when programming keys you have to insert the already programmed keys before an additional can be programmed. Ford programs the first two at the factory.

If you lose one of the two original the on board computer must be reprogrammed

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

In that case it means the on board computer has already been reprogrammed once. If you have two working keys and the are not the originals.

What's it matter if the pats has been accessed or not. Again, all you need is two programmed keys to make a third. Doesn't matter original or not. The DIY method is screwed when you only have one programmed key or no keys at all. I could take my original two, program two, toss the original two keys, program a fifth key with the two programmed replacements and still never access pats...