remote start and black centre console screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zero2espect

Reaction score
guys any thoughts on the below.

if i do a remote start, hop in the car and drive my centre screen is blank. all my functions like sync and the steering controls work, and I can even press the screen and it accepts the commands (though i have no idea what i am pressing because it's black!).

with the key in, if i turn the car off, wait a couple of seconds and then back on, everything is normal. likewise a cold start with key in, is completely normal.

I initially thought it was a screen gone bad, but when i took it to the stealership and got the guys to come out and look it worked normally (because i started her up with key in). I only worked out the remote start link this afternoon on the way home from work.

i'm not sure i want to know if this is typical behaviour......kind of like seeing your fav pr0n star without makeup, if you know what i mean!!!!!

edit: i did a forum search and couldn't see anything that looked similar

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
guys any thoughts on the below.

if i do a remote start, hop in the car and drive my centre screen is blank. all my functions like sync and the steering controls work, and I can even press the screen and it accepts the commands (though i have no idea what i am pressing because it's black!).

with the key in, if i turn the car off, wait a couple of seconds and then back on, everything is normal. likewise a cold start with key in, is completely normal.

I initially thought it was a screen gone bad, but when i took it to the stealership and got the guys to come out and look it worked normally (because i started her up with key in). I only worked out the remote start link this afternoon on the way home from work.

i'm not sure i want to know if this is typical behaviour......kind of like seeing your fav pr0n star without makeup, if you know what i mean!!!!!

edit: i did a forum search and couldn't see anything that looked similar

I just had something similar happen, but I haven't figured out exactly how I did it. I think I remote started it with me in already in it or something. Anyway, I was actually able to rev the motor and use the nav screen without having put the key in. It's not exactly the same, but similar. I think I shut it off before figuring out if I could have driven away like that. :emotions122:

KeithS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience is that everything lights up as soon as I put the key in and turn it to the ON position. I have never had it stay dark and I have used the remote start a few times per week for about 10 months now. I have the factory nav system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Noob sidetrack,

If you remote start it, do you still have to put the key in the ignition and turn to the on position?

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OP it could be possible you have a faulty wire/connection somewhere in the igniton and/or headunit. Taken it apart or jumped anything lately?

OP
OP
zero2espect

zero2espect

Reaction score
yeah. just to confirm for remote start, if you want to drive you have to insert the key and turn it to on.

the macf -> no. nothing wired in, completely stock.

the car is a 2012 only 2 weeks old (2013 models don't hit my region until march/april next year). i'm racking my sketchy memory (i normally can't even remember what I had for breakfast) if it is something that has always been there and i just kind of noticed.

cars delivered to my region come stock with lux pack & tow kit as standard (factory fit).

The only reason i really noticed was i was filiming a youtube review and turned to the camera and said "now checkout the center console..." and it was black. lol.

one of the compunding factors is that it does get to 50 degrees c here and i'm hoping nothing has cooked....

my rigid 40" light bar is in transit to me now. maybe i take it back to the stealership and get it looked at before i wire anything in so they can't blame me for any faults?

OP
OP
zero2espect

zero2espect

Reaction score
ok. another update.

so it gets a bit wierder....

it's not as simple as how i described and is basically a by-product of me trying to film a review.

i start the car with remote start, showing off how awesome a feature it is. the car runs. i hop in, plug the key in, turn to on. yap some more into the camera. the car is sitting idle as i yap some more. after a while there's a beep that comes over the speakers and the screen goes black.

is it like a screen saver or something that doesn't recover?

it's not really a problem now that i know what's happening, but it's one of those niggly things that's in the back of my mind now.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it's an issue that you can easily reproduce, just take it into the dealership and show them the issue. This definitely sounds like some sort of wiring/internal software issue. Might be too advanced for many to give you advice. If you do decide to take it into the stealership and they figure it out, make sure you post back with the information so we will have a record for this issue in the future.