Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > Ford Raptor Forums - General Information > Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum

Rear end side hop

This is a discussion on Rear end side hop within the Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum forums, part of the Ford Raptor Forums - General Information category!
It looks like my shocks are bad. If i tap the breaks when just barely moving, the it rocks back ...

User Tag List

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2016, 01:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
It looks like my shocks are bad. If i tap the breaks when just barely moving, the it rocks back and forth a little. Pretty easy to compress the back in by pressing on the bumper. I'm not sure i have time to pull the shocks for a rebuild, and get them back in time for a long road trip at the end of the month. New rears from Ford are about $800 each. Right now, i don't have a tome of extra cash to go with the really fine stuff like ICON's, King, etc. Suggestions? I'm also concerned about the springs, after several comments here. What is the factory ride height, and would that give be an indication of spring condition? Thanks

richm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I think you're on the right track with the shocks. Mine was doing the same thing until the rear shocks were stolen. Doesn't do it now that they've been replaced. You can probably find a good used set of factory take offs here or on eBay for ~$500.

Also, my truck has 75k miles and is on stock springs. I can't imagine yours wore out that quickly. If transmission fluid lasts for the lifetime of the vehicle and springs are a wear item...ford needs to hire some new engineers!

Last edited by Antlers; 01-17-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Antlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
So I ordered a set of rears FOX OEM. Good price compared to what the local Ford dealer wanted. Now the question is, should I go ahead and replace the fronts as well? I'm not sure of a good way to check them on the truck.
One other thing, did a quick check measuring from the ground to the fender lip at each wheel. Both fronts measured right at 42". LR was 44, and RR was 44 3/8. Wish I had measured new, but does this seem reasonable. FY, truck has brand new Goodrich KO2 in factory size of 35/70 17, so they should be real close to OEM. Again thanks for the input!
Old 01-18-2016, 09:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)

Originally Posted by richm View Post
So I ordered a set of rears FOX OEM. Good price compared to what the local Ford dealer wanted. Now the question is, should I go ahead and replace the fronts as well? I'm not sure of a good way to check them on the truck.
One other thing, did a quick check measuring from the ground to the fender lip at each wheel. Both fronts measured right at 42". LR was 44, and RR was 44 3/8. Wish I had measured new, but does this seem reasonable. FY, truck has brand new Goodrich KO2 in factory size of 35/70 17, so they should be real close to OEM. Again thanks for the input!
You ordered new OEM shocks? You know you can rebuild them for a fraction of the cost, right?

DIY - Stock Raptor 2.5 Shock Rebuild.

Another option....

Raptor Community - Stock 2.5 shock rebuild exchange program.
Trick_Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by richm View Post
Difference may be due to fuel weight. "Raptor lean"
Antlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:54 AM   #16 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
I was aware of the rebuild. I am going on a cross country trip next week, and Fox could not get the shocks back to me in time. I also travel extensively for work, often on a moments notice. I didn't want to start something then get called away and leave it until the last minute. The new shocks are $548 ea, so while considerably more than the rebuilds, it was acceptable under the circumstances. At least I have a set of rears that I can rebuild and have ready for "the next time". I'm still waffling on the doing the fronts so they are all in new condition. any opinions?

Last edited by richm; 01-19-2016 at 02:12 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

U probably could get them charged and be fine when I did my rebuild @ 50k they actually looked decent still just no nitrogen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
str8fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
I replaced the rear shocks today. what a difference! nice and stable again. Also raised the rear about an inch. I didn't think even charged shocks would do that but they did. Next week the fronts will get done. Thanks for all the help everyone.