Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > Ford Raptor Forums - General Information > Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum

Rear end side hop

This is a discussion on Rear end side hop within the Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum forums, part of the Ford Raptor Forums - General Information category!
Hi All, My 2010 stock Raptor (6.2) seems to have recently developed a much more pronounced rear end "side hop" ...

User Tag List

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2016, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Rear end side hop
Hi All,
My 2010 stock Raptor (6.2) seems to have recently developed a much more pronounced rear end "side hop" when hitting bumps in the road. Having driven it for 5 years, I'm pretty use to what it normally would do. The only time I really experienced this before was on washboard roads under throttle. The hop now occurs driving on our admittedly crappy roads here in Colorado Springs.
The truck only has 38000 miles on it (i travel A LOT) for work.
The truck has been offroad, and has been off the ground more than a few times. I have also pulled a 6000lb travel trailer cross country.
I recently replaced the original tires with Goodrich KO2's, so maybe the stiffer sidewall is having an effect. I don't see any indications of shocks leaking, etc.
Any thoughts as to possible causes? Maybe I'm just pickier than in the past, but it does seem much worse than i have noticed before.
Thanks in advance!

richm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)

Maybe check and see if the tires are over inflated, with no load in the back 40 psi should be good
CoronaRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 531 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Original stock springs? Mine were pretty well shot around that time. Just changed over to aftermarket leafs (Deavers) and all that janky sideways shit is over. The rear end stays planted like it did when the truck was new. The KO2's are a little figidity when new as well until you get the side lugs wore down a bit.

So get some aftermarket rear leafs and you'll have that side hop problem fixed!!!
2014RubyRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I have 44k on my '10 put KO2's on back in august.I dont over inflate mine just enough to keep the TP light off......38-40 psi like Corona said.I do get the side hop when hitting one of the "raised" spots across a lane on the Interstate.

I like Rubys suggestion as we are probably the last two owners w/o deavers lol
CoronaRaptor likes this.
RV67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)

Originally Posted by RV67 View Post
I have 44k on my '10 put KO2's on back in august.I dont over inflate mine just enough to keep the TP light off......38-40 psi like Corona said.I do get the side hop when hitting one of the "raised" spots across a lane on the Interstate.

The truck does handle so much better with the deavers in the back, but I never experienced the op's problem with normal driving conditions.
CoronaRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)

Originally Posted by RV67 View Post

This is a problem raptor owners have. That "raised" spot is called a median. It's meant to keep you from crossing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Originally Posted by cups View Post
This is a problem raptor owners have. That "raised" spot is called a median. It's meant to keep you from crossing!

Phaqn' comedian.......dont quit your day job

Here in IL when they lay asphalt the "seam" where they stop and restart, water gets underneath and then freezes..( full width of a lane )..well this turns into a mild speed bump that kicks an empty pick up side ways when doing 75-80
cups and 2014RubyRed like this.
RV67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)

Everybody's s critic. Maybe I'll just go to Nashville. After all there's only 1352 guitar pickers in Nashville.
2014RubyRed likes this.
cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default side hop
Originally Posted by cups View Post

Actually, the big bump like the median is fine.. especially at high speed. That way all four wheels come off and i don't skip sideways! Thanks for the input. I guess I'm disappointing if the springs are already shot. i suppose the shocks could be going as well. I run the tires at 44psi. We had a pretty cold spell here and it seemed worse, but i'll have to drive more when it warms up and i get back in town.
richm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

I am experiencing the exact same thing. Ive got a '13 with about 40k on it. I just this Monday put new Duratrac's on it. Mine only does it at 50. Not 49 or 51 but right at 50mph. I thought maybe a balancing error of one of the new tires, or just the meatier lugs vs the stock BFG's were causing it. It too dropped down to the teens when it started so maybe the cold weather on a new meatier tire? Not sure. I am headed to snoball this evening when I get out of work so we will see if I have any more issues as I will be logging quite a few miles on them.

I was thinking too mine might be a U-Joint. Any thoughts on this??

Last edited by Mike175; 01-14-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Mike175 is offline   Reply With Quote