Rear Diff lock won't disengage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DT 714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2012 Scab w/ 6600 miles...never been off-road before.

Headed to Raptoberfest this morning & the rear diff lock is stuck....!!

Won't turn off...switch is pushed in but seems to have some kind of short in it.

When I tap the switch the dash light diff lock goes off, but it won't disengage until I get above 20 or so....

Performed a batt disconnect....but that didn't clear it up.

Switch seems loose and the whole thing moves and lifts out of socket when pulled to engage diff lock.

Any ideas...??

OP
OP
DT 714

DT 714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that the switch mechanism is pulling our of the dash?

yep....it is...and somehow its loosing contact or something...

After today's Raptoberfest runs I could hold the button in with my finger and it would stay unlocked while at low speed.

Guess the switch is bad....you can't feel any detent stops when you rotate the knob between settings....2H, 4H or 4L.

Damn thing....2012 with 6600 miles....hope its covered under warranty.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take it to a car wash with an undercarriage rinse. Or if you can, put a sprinkler underneath the truck and let it run for a good while. Then take it to an automated wash with undercarriage rinse. You don't want the to blame it coming loose on offroading. They may try to say that you were to rough and it shool it loose or damaged it

RapItUp2013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does the steering wheel feel tight after like 10 miles when u turn off the 4wd?

OP
OP
DT 714

DT 714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it to a car wash with an undercarriage rinse. Or if you can, put a sprinkler underneath the truck and let it run for a good while. Then take it to an automated wash with undercarriage rinse. You don't want the to blame it coming loose on offroading. They may try to say that you were to rough and it shool it loose or damaged it

Yep....put a shit load of quarters through the machine to wash Raptoberfest away....

Took it in this morning....

Its a warranty they said....gave me a 2013 F150 Scew ecoboost to drive while they get the switch & install it.

I've bought 2 new trucks and a new jeep in the last three years from this dealership....they don't have a loaner program except for a few clients...I think they'll treat me right.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

does the steering wheel feel tight after like 10 miles when u turn off the 4wd?

Nope....just the diff locks until you get over 20...then it unlocks.

I could hold the button in and it would stay unlocked....the switch just crapped out....pain in the butt.....

But wasn't an issue at Raptoberfest.....truck performed flawlessly...

And after all that banging around for 2 days.....not a rattle or squeak one....alignment was still perfect.....what a truck...!!

Ya gotta do a TRR to see what these trucks can really do....!!

OP
OP
DT 714

DT 714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed……just a minor pain in the ass. $22 switch. under warranty.
Dealer gave me a 2013 Screw Ecoboost for a loaner.
Drove it 15 miles home and parked it….had a full tank of gas too…..drove my 11 yr old Escalade truck instead….
Didn't like the pwr. steering at all…no feel with electro assist…..
Ecoboost did nothing for me either….wasn't impressed…
Glad my truck doesn't have that steering on it……
New switch fixed the issue and now the Raptor is back on-line.

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Electronic steering with no feedback sucks! I caught myself constantly wandering around the road every go where I went with my loaner the week before the fest. They given me a 2013 screw ecoboost too with only 600 miles on the dash. I wasn't too impressed myself. The Eco was either all power or none, maybe a 5.0L v8 eco but.......
I'm glad it was just your switch D!

m

m

OP
OP
DT 714

DT 714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you're having issues with your DD…

Yes it was only the switch…

I could press and hold it in for slow speed and it would work….after you go faster than 20 mph the rear diff lock automatically disengages….

Good luck...