raptor to race at the next dakar rally, feed back needed...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dakar

Reaction score
hello, this is my firs post on this forum, my name is Ivan Klein and I live in Mexico, I'm part of the ONLY MEXICAN team that will race on the next dakar rally on January 2012 and we recently got a 2010 ford raptor 5.4 L wich has previously ran that race and won an open class 1 place on 2011 Dakar.

The reason I'm writing this is because we have really no time to know all the things we need to know from this truck and how to repair it. the most frequently problems found on it, the "how to's" and so, that is why I'm asking for your advise from all of you guys.

for example i can't find the fuell filter :emotions122:,(is it inside of the tank?) and i'm not sure what a big plastic box is next to the fuel tank, which have hoses in and out of it, as well as a electric harness wich by the way is actually unpluged and the wires are exposed..

please excuse my bad english but i'm trying...

thanks a lot for all your help.

see you.

DEADEYE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that Sue Meades truck?

It sounds like it.

I would advise trying to get a Ford shop manual . Although all these documents are probably just on line at this time or on disk for Ford techs only.

You may want to call the SVT team.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
...i'm not sure what a big plastic box is next to the fuel tank, which have hoses in and out of it...
That is the evaporative emissions canister (a charcoal canister)

I would advise trying to get a Ford shop manual . Although all these documents are probably just on line at this time or on disk for Ford techs only.

Service Manuals, Owner Manuals, Wiring Diagrams, Service Bulletins - Helm Incorporated for the shop manual. I think it is about $180 for the printed version.

OP
OP
Dakar

Dakar

Reaction score
That is the evaporative emissions canister (a charcoal canister)

Service Manuals, Owner Manuals, Wiring Diagrams, Service Bulletins - Helm Incorporated for the shop manual. I think it is about $180 for the printed version.

That is what I was thinking, the canister, Thanks a lot for your advice, now any ideas on where the Fuel filter can be found?

Here in Mexico is really difficult to get a good manual, and with the Dealers they are worse than me, so that wont wotrk.

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what I was thinking, the canister, Thanks a lot for your advice, now any ideas on where the Fuel filter can be found?

Here in Mexico is really difficult to get a good manual, and with the Dealers they are worse than me, so that wont wotrk.

The fuel tank might have been changed to a fuel cell. The shop which did alot of the race prep work might have helpful information. Good luck at the rally!

Welcome to the Fab School

OP
OP
Dakar

Dakar

Reaction score
The fuel tank might have been changed to a fuel cell. The shop which did alot of the race prep work might have helpful information. Good luck at the rally!

Welcome to the Fab School

Yes, the fuel cell is on top of the bead, and the stock fuel tank is as usual below, now I Know that the filter is in the fuel pump and is not serviciable.. but still I have a lot to learn about this truck, since the truck has no owner manual we need to figure out how is the traction control button works and how to disable it.

Regarding the engine Oil, I think that OEM 5W 20 is way too thin for the race but that is what the manufacturer recomends so I´m conffused..

thanks alot.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
since the truck has no owner manual we need to figure out how is the traction control button works and how to disable it.

Press the button once to put it in sport mode. Press it again to completely turn it off.

OP
OP
Dakar

Dakar

Reaction score
Great

You can find the 2010 guides here. Select 2010 F-150.

Excellent Link, that was exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot for the advise. :waytogo::waytogo:

I'll begin sending you pics from the truck during the tests and on the race..
wish us luck..
see you.