Raptor OEM Third LED Brake light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They covered mine under the 3yr/36k mile warranty and another under my extended warranty. Your dealer is yanking your chain. Make them fix it. It's their ****** design that is causing all the issues. After my second one, I pulled the new light and silicone the shit out of it. No issues since.

Good luck!!!

RC51TOFUMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They covered mine under the 3yr/36k mile warranty and another under my extended warranty. Your dealer is yanking your chain. Make them fix it. It's their ****** design that is causing all the issues. After my second one, I pulled the new light and silicone the shit out of it. No issues since.

Good luck!!!

did you keep the foam gasket?

OP
OP
RaptorEnthusiast

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Good luck!!!

I just picked up today. I had to get Ford customer service to step in and cover the third brake light replacement. The dealer would only replace the rear window defroster under the extended warranty.

I sealed around the outer edge with silicone today and I hope that'll do it.

Interestingly the fine print under "what's not covered" for the extended warranty does state vaguely that light assemblies are not covered. The service rep just pulled the part number of the housing and showed me that his system deemed it "not covered under active warranties".

Nevertheless I'm just glad Ford Service took care of it, even though in my opinion it should be covered regardless and is a legit safety issue.

David

OP
OP
RaptorEnthusiast

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you only silicone around the top and sides of the light. I left the bottom undone so the moisture had a place to go.....

Hmm. Oops I sealed all around. So I should go cut out the seal along the lower edge tomorrow huh?

By the way, after I picked it up today, I drove around town and it rained a bit during. Low and behold I decided to take look and I noticed some moisture bubbles ALREADY around the inner perimeter of the housing, blocked off for now by the Oem foam gasket. Terrible.

I did also notice upon close examination that each of the 4 inner integrated screws for LED lights had what appeared to be hard plastic white washers under the screws. Is it possible the later Oem replacement housings had better inner sealing? I don't remember if my previous housing had those washers.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hmm. Oops I sealed all around. So I should go cut out the seal along the lower edge tomorrow huh?

By the way, after I picked it up today, I drove around town and it rained a bit during. Low and behold I decided to take look and I noticed some moisture bubbles ALREADY around the inner perimeter of the housing, blocked off for now by the Oem foam gasket. Terrible.

I did also notice upon close examination that each of the 4 inner integrated screws for LED lights had what appeared to be hard plastic white washers under the screws. Is it possible the later Oem replacement housings had better inner sealing? I don't remember if my previous housing had those washers.

They did update the design. And yes, remove some of the silicone on the bottom. That might be the moisture you are already seeing......

OP
OP
RaptorEnthusiast

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They did update the design. And yes, remove some of the silicone on the bottom. That might be the moisture you are already seeing......

So I'm assuming the replacement housings you've received over the course of ownership were all "improved". Your brake lights still got destroyed by water leakage even with the reinforced washer seals?

How much if an improvement is the design now compared to the old? Honest question.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I'm assuming the replacement housings you've received over the course of ownership were all "improved". Your brake lights still got destroyed by water leakage even with the reinforced washer seals?

How much if an improvement is the design now compared to the old? Honest question.

I've got a 2014, so I'm assuming I had the latest model. I heard that some of the older ones were messed up even worse. I haven't had any issue with mine or seen any moisture since I siliconed it. I think the stock gasket is shit, so that is still a problem......