Raptor OEM Third LED Brake light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've read/heard about the OEM Third LED Brakelight having issues because of water leakage into the housing.

I have no idea if that happened with my Raptor as I took ownership of it a little over 2 months ago and I have to assume it was not working since.

Long story short, I took it into the Ford service today and to my dismay they said the Third Brakelight led is one of the things NOT covered under the bumper to bumper.

Is there a fairly easy way for me to fix this myself? What could cause LEDs to go out? I've always figured LEDs to be pretty resilient.

Thanks

David

Ironhorse07

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I filed a claim with Ford Customer Service on mine and they did cover it. Did Ford tell you the price of that thing now? I told them that I can understand bulbs not being covered but this requires the replacement of the whole housing, that should be covered. Also the price went from about $130 a year ago to over $450. Good luck

OP
OP
RaptorEnthusiast

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I filed a claim with Ford Customer Service on mine and they did cover it. Did Ford tell you the price of that thing now? I told them that I can understand bulbs not being covered but this requires the replacement of the whole housing, that should be covered. Also the price went from about $130 a year ago to over $450. Good luck

Yep, they told me if I were to get it fixed through them it would be $500+ + labor which would be a total of $700+ (I don't remember exact figures).

So what you're saying is I should call Ford customer service to file a claim? Because to me that's ridiculous. It's a safety feature on the truck.

David

Ironhorse07

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep, they told me if I were to get it fixed through them it would be $500+ + labor which would be a total of $700+ (I don't remember exact figures).

So what you're saying is I should call Ford customer service to file a claim? Because to me that's ridiculous. It's a safety feature on the truck.

David

Yes, that is what I am saying, and Yes, it is ridiculous.

OP
OP
RaptorEnthusiast

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Great I'll call Ford Customer service about the 3rd Brake Light.

On a side note, my raptor is at the service dept now about to get a warranty replacement of the rear window pane for the rear defroster repair.

I asked the rep earlier whether he's heard of issues of cracking and he didn't know of it.

I'm in Texas (houston), should I go ahead and ask him to fix it or just leave it?

David

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

By the way, the entire housing will need to be repaired because the LED brake light board has been fried correct?

So do they just send you a new housing and you just install it yourself?

David

Ironhorse07

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If under warranty, they install. 2 screws and a connector, 5 minutes if you don't set your beer down. If you really want to get pissed off hold one of those in your hand and say "$454?"

OP
OP
RaptorEnthusiast

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If under warranty, they install. 2 screws and a connector, 5 minutes if you don't set your beer down. If you really want to get pissed off hold one of those in your hand and say "$454?"

Well I'm at the service dept now. I had called Ford Customer Service earlier today and the rep heard my story and called my service dealership.

My service rep at the dealership just now told me that he ran the replacement part number in his system and it came back noted as "not covered under active warranties".

I told him I was expecting a call back from the Ford Customer Service later today.

So I'm not too optimistic at this point but will wait to hear what they will say and do about it.

Did you go through a similar experience as mine?

David

RC51TOFUMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my 3rd brake light replaced 2x by the dealer under warranty.
It rarely rains in SoCal.
When it did rain.....the 3rd brake light would get "water Logged"
good amount of water trapped at the bottom of the light.
1st time it happened the LEDs still worked but i didn't like look at water swooshing back and forth.
replaced by warranty
2nd time was when the 3rd brake light got water inside but this time one of the led's was submerged in water and burned out.
replaced by warranty

i do have an extended ford warranty on my 2013. When they stop giving me a warranty 3rd brake light is when I will silicone the replacement.

Some bad design flaw. There is some type of moisture leakage in the cab. Can really pinpoint exactly where it's originating from. When it does rain i get unusual moisture buildup inside the crew cab by way of excessive moisture on the interior of the windows. I have to sit for a few minutes with window defroster on Max for it to clear out.

I made it a point not to go to the Ford Dealer to make it an issue. I've had bad experiences with Ford dealers.
It doesn't rain that much in SoCal for me to pinpoint the issue. I've gotten most of my answers here on the Forums.

The Forums are a valuable resource.

I see other raptors on the road.....and i take notice that the 3rd brake light is sometimes not working. So i don't think every Raptor Owner takes notice.

My 2 cents......

Hi all,

I've read/heard about the OEM Third LED Brakelight having issues because of water leakage into the housing.

I have no idea if that happened with my Raptor as I took ownership of it a little over 2 months ago and I have to assume it was not working since.

Long story short, I took it into the Ford service today and to my dismay they said the Third Brakelight led is one of the things NOT covered under the bumper to bumper.

Is there a fairly easy way for me to fix this myself? What could cause LEDs to go out? I've always figured LEDs to be pretty resilient.

Thanks

David