radiator broke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so my truck is at the dealer getting a new radiator replaced under warranty, which is a good thing. my hats off to the ford store in morgan hill for not even blinking an eye in taking my truck, getting me a rental and taking care of the problem.

my question is this. they told me that the only way they could see this happening is that the body moved from the frame while offroading. isnt the radiator connected by hoses? wouldnt there be enough play to prevent that from happening? i certainly did not push my truck that hard out in ocotillo. sliding, yes, but nothing crazy with whoops or big bump or jumps. have any of you had a bad or broken radiator? and if so, was the cause of it due to offroading? isnt that why we bought the truck? i hope its just a fluke and it doesnt happen again. i certainly dont want to have issues out at trr 1700 miles from home

Az Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The radiator has a solid mount, usually four bolts on the side. It is usually attached to the front end sheet metal. That means that your frame would have to torque really badly in order for the radiator to be damaged. If you see no visible body damage on your truck, I doubt that offroading would be the cause of its damage.

OP
OP
The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is leaking fluid. not horrible, but definitely leaking. and the guys with me at ocotillo know i wasnt going too hard so im wondering what it is.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here, but could be that your radiator fan flexed forward and knocked a small hole in it.

6gun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any visible damage to the rad? If they think the body moved on the frame, you better have them re-torque the body mounting bolts under the whole truck, cab, bed...everything....but I honestly think the body off explanation is, quite simply....********. Having said that, fixey first.... then we'll discuss the body departing the frame...