GEN 1 PS front axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

no1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was crawling under truck today and found out this

This can't be normal? Axle was out about 1" when i saw this, how the hell it should stay there and not moving outwards?

OP
OP
no1

no1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guy's help wanted! I pushed that back to place but it will slide out every time. Last night it was 1/2" out and i pushed it back and today it slide out again about 1/2". What is causing this? Do i need new cv axle or can this be fixed somehow? Thanks in advance!

Fb73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No help for Sauna Boy aka @JanT ?

Should he put some ductape on there to hide the problem ?? :lol:

D

Deleted member 12951

I don't believe thats normal as the teeth of the gears are exposed. I would replace it. One side cost more than the other, can't remember. I had my driver side replaced under warranty but can be purchased for less than $300.

Especially if its not happening on the other side then definitely not normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whoisbigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not positive, but the advice you're getting here doesn't seem as reliable as I would hope. I believe there is supposed to be some play in there so that as the suspension cycles, the distance from the wheels to the differential can change without something breaking. Your rear driveshaft is made to slip the same way. I'm not sure how much play there should be, or how easy it should be to move that. Are the tires on the ground or lifted off the ground on stands?

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
There is no way that zip ties with it rotating could hold that together. The only thing to use would be a crap load of J-B weld and you know that.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Jan, there is a locking clip inside the front diff that the half shaft goes thru. This clip prevents the shaft from coming out. You need to jam that shaft in as hard you can and see if you can engage the locking clip. It should not be sliding in and out.

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

I remember now. The clip is on the half shaft and it engages something inside the diff. You'll probably have to remove it from the wheel hub to get enough leverage to shove the clip into it's seat. Just make sure you don't pull outward on the outer part of the shaft, you'll pull it in two. And then you're screwed. Ask me how I know. lol I put a new driver's side half shaft in last year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
no1

no1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe thats normal as the teeth of the gears are exposed. I would replace it. One side cost more than the other, can't remember. I had my driver side replaced under warranty but can be purchased for less than $300.

Especially if its not happening on the other side then definitely not normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only happens on passenger side. I did order new one already since it was only 220$+shipping.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

I'm not positive, but the advice you're getting here doesn't seem as reliable as I would hope. I believe there is supposed to be some play in there so that as the suspension cycles, the distance from the wheels to the differential can change without something breaking. Your rear driveshaft is made to slip the same way. I'm not sure how much play there should be, or how easy it should be to move that. Are the tires on the ground or lifted off the ground on stands?

Tires are on ground on video but it will move same way when jacked up. I'm wondering this because it will not stay there and there is O-ring on diff end shaft. I think O-ring is there for to preventing moisture etc entering. Movement sounds right on tire articulation but it should move back there, right?

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

Jan, there is a locking clip inside the front diff that the half shaft goes thru. This clip prevents the shaft from coming out. You need to jam that shaft in as hard you can and see if you can engage the locking clip. It should not be sliding in and out.

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

I remember now. The clip is on the half shaft and it engages something inside the diff. You'll probably have to remove it from the wheel hub to get enough leverage to shove the clip into it's seat. Just make sure you don't pull outward on the outer part of the shaft, you'll pull it in two. And then you're screwed. Ask me how I know. lol I put a new driver's side half shaft in last year.

I think that you are talking about drivers side? On passenger side diff has a shaft sticking out, so clip should be on cv axle? I will try to remove it and see how it attaches to diff. If there is clip like you described, it should be visible when removed.