Power steering resevoir and cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raulsterXDozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering who has blown a ps pump even with an aftermarket reservoir and cooler. On my 3rd pump now. Also would love to hear people's opinions on PSS kit vs RPG vs entire Howe. So far seems like RPG enables to have a bottle attached to overflow and Howe isn't so good for daily driving because of the vibration/noises on account of the still using stock rack. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the other systems other than what I've learned on here, but I have the RPG system with an additional cooler. I've got 95k + miles on my 14, and have had zero issues with my steering. I've got a longer overflow tube as well, but have never seen anything drips or puddles or blowback come out of it.

My Rap probably doesn't see as much off road use as you guys out there in the desert, but I have been off road in Colorado, in the snow and the dunes in Indiana without any issues. Done some fairly hard offloading without any noises or chatter.

FWIW, that's my $.02.....

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the RPG Res and a cooler as well on my 2012. I didn't put them on until about 70k miles. I just had my rack replaced at 81k miles. It also leaks a decent amount into my water bottle that I put the over flow tube into.

OP
OP
raulsterXDozer

raulsterXDozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This time it wasn't the pump. Ended up being the ps high pressure hose, maybe from the mud or pushing it hard? Wondering if I should still do the reservoir/cooler combo.

Colemanater

Reaction score
Stock Steering Failure

Well my power steering is now failing...just dropped it off to ford. Was doing doughnuts in a snowy parking lot (mature, I know, but who wouldn't with a raptor) and had a horrible smell. Once I got home I could barely turn the wheel at slow speeds. Now I bet the dealer is going to replace the steering pump. Do you think it will happen again? Should I go with an RPG pump? Or just see if the stock one will last again?...

D

Deleted member 12951

Well my power steering is now failing...just dropped it off to ford. Was doing doughnuts in a snowy parking lot (mature, I know, but who wouldn't with a raptor) and had a horrible smell. Once I got home I could barely turn the wheel at slow speeds. Now I bet the dealer is going to replace the steering pump. Do you think it will happen again? Should I go with an RPG pump? Or just see if the stock one will last again?...

This isn't about a different pump, its about a larger reservoir and cooler to help the stock pump last longer. Only one making a replacement pump kit is Howe and its above $1k.

OP
OP
raulsterXDozer

raulsterXDozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I would have had as much luck as everyone else with their aftermarket reservoir and cooler but after blowing another pump even with the pss combo I went Howe.

OP
OP
raulsterXDozer

raulsterXDozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't really put it to the test yet but so far so good. Definitely whines when turning at slow speeds but I don't get any vibrations at all