GEN 1 Power Steering Reservoir losing fluid

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

Have the PSS reservoir with cooler. My reservoir during both offroad trips was releasing fluid. It is designed to do so with the pressure relief on the cap. I was just surprised that every day is was releasing it. I would check and clean it up but it didn't seem that much and figure if I topped it off, it would just release it again.

Wondering if there is an issue or this happens to everyone with the reservoir when offroad?

668ee94b0ed45c0cc3754fcabc8bd11b.jpg

This is how much was lost after two offroad trips.

3ac22d1dace970c27a40cdf1516e3d83.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That appears to be be coming from the breather in the top of the cap. Been bouncing around a lot?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

That appears to be be coming from the breather in the top of the cap. Been bouncing around a lot?

Its a pressure relief pop off valve set for 12psi by PSS. Just fluid hitting it alone does not come out unless pressure pushes it out. And yes, I would consider going offroad a bouncy affair. Under normal street driving conditions, it does not release fluid. My question is about when you go offroad, does this happen often for others too?

And for the record, on the last two offroad trips, I did absolutely no jumping (so not that big of a bounce).

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its a pressure relief pop off valve set for 12psi by PSS. Just fluid hitting it alone does not come out unless pressure pushes it out. And yes, I would consider going offroad a bouncy affair. Under normal street driving conditions, it does not release fluid. My question is about when you go offroad, does this happen often for others too?

And for the record, on the last two offroad trips, I did absolutely no jumping (so not that big of a bounce).

Mine weeped for a while and then the fluid level stabilized and it hasn't done it since.

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. It leaked after only a 6 mile loop at Phoenix open. I am running course opening car for NASA rally this weekend in the UP of Michigan and will keep an eye on it. I do think most of it is coming from the blender but the top lip of the res under the cap is wet also

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Mine does the same thing. It leaked after only a 6 mile loop at Phoenix open. I am running course opening car for NASA rally this weekend in the UP of Michigan and will keep an eye on it. I do think most of it is coming from the blender but the top lip of the res under the cap is wet also

My trips were Baja for 4 days of off-road (would guess about 600-800 miles) and TRR with their 35 mile course, did it about 8 times and that was the amount of fluid that I lost in my picture after both of those trips.

Mluis11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This appears to be pretty common. Myself and 2 others that I know of have had similar experiences. I did 500 offroad miles in 2 days and had seepage, but the fluid wasn't noticeably below the line.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

I had some seepage out of mine, but nothing major. A baffle would go a long way to helping with this.

A baffle as in how? I wonder if the 12psi pop relief can be adjusted or swapped out for something with a higher psi? I know the RPG has one too but with a hose that lets it escape below the frame, wonder what their psi relief is set for? The stock unit does not have any type of pressure relief does it, so why do aftermarket ones have it?

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine only weeped not excessively. I think the pressure relief valve is a good thing and would help to expel air build up under high heat and cavitation so the pump and rack can run closer to the operating PSI. But that is just a guess.