Power steering rack leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I changed the oil in my truck today and noticed a tear in the boot on the passenger side of the steering rack. The area of the tear is wet with fluid, not a lot but it's wet. I know the boot is only there to protect from mud/debris so would this indicate that my steering rack is leaking? Are those seals replaceable or am I looking at a new rack?

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I changed the oil in my truck today and noticed a tear in the boot on the passenger side of the steering rack. The area of the tear is wet with fluid, not a lot but it's wet. I know the boot is only there to protect from mud/debris so would this indicate that my steering rack is leaking? Are those seals replaceable or am I looking at a new rack?
It's most likely wet from the water that had been getting in there. The gear has grease on it, so it may be coming out as well with the water.

The boots are replaceable. You have to disconnect the tie rod from the wheel spindle. Very easy to do.
Remove the band clamp on the gear side by cutting it.
Remove the spring clamp on the wheel side.
Slid the old boot off.
Slide new $30 boot on.
Add a size 28 hose clamp to the gear side and tighten.
Reinstall spring clamp on wheel side.
Reinstall tie rod end to wheel spindle.
This will not mess up your alignment.

I think @SDHQ may sell an aftermarket tie rod boot that is more pliable, but not 100% sure.

@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
www.runraptorrun.com

OP
OP
X
Reaction score
It's most likely wet from the water that had been getting in there. The gear has grease on it, so it may be coming out as well with the water.

The boots are replaceable. You have to disconnect the tie rod from the wheel spindle. Very easy to do.
Remove the band clamp on the gear side by cutting it.
Remove the spring clamp on the wheel side.
Slid the old boot off.
Slide new $30 boot on.
Add a size 28 hose clamp to the gear side and tighten.
Reinstall spring clamp on wheel side.
Reinstall tie rod end to wheel spindle.
This will not mess up your alignment.

I think @SDHQ may sell an aftermarket tie rod boot that is more pliable, but not 100% sure.

@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
Run Raptor Run | Great Lakes Raptor Excursions (GLRE)

Awesome thanks a lot for the info, I'll look into the sdhq boots

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I just noticed same thing on my rig today and posted a thread. Oops.... Was your rack leaking?