Power steering failure, crash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camperguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my power steering pump/rack blow out while swerving around a car that slamed on its brakes. I was able to miss the car but hit a small garage. I was only doing about 35. Its like the steering froze up and the ffkin truck was doing donuts all over the place. Anyway what should I get for a replacement setup. It looks like the oil is coming from the seals on the pump shaft. Should I change out everything? When I first start the truck it turns but resists after 10min it barely moves ,like and old 70s truck with its wheels wedged between 2 rocks.Luckily no one was hurt but I was sited!

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh damn, THAT sucks. Hope the damage isn't bad from the garage impact, good to hear no injuries though.

I'm replacing my power steering pump this weekend, Motorcraft STP281 from rockauto.com for $146 (plus $60 core but mine's good for core):
2013 FORD F-150 6.2L V8 Power Steering Pump | RockAuto
It's been whining since I got the truck in April, seems worse when it's cold, although around here anything under 50°F is "cold" heh. I'll be replacing the fluid (Mercon V) and adjusting the rack while I'm at it:

Not sure how to diagnose a bad rack though, others on here can better advise, in your case I'd want to check for leaks on it and the hoses as well, from your description it sounds like a pump/pressure failure alone but I could very well be wrong. Good luck and let us know.

OP
OP
Camperguy

Camperguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes its weird, the warmer the truck gets the worse the steering is. I can see some of the places its leaking, definetly coming out the pumps shaft but pretty wet all around. Its 5F here now and after 10min idleing it just fights to turn, even on snow!

Im going to let the shop figure it out. 20yrs not even a ticket now.....I dont even want to talk about it

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems mechanical failure caused your collision with garage...if you fight the ticket on those grounds your chances of getting an understanding judge would probably be pretty good. If you have a tire blowout and you hit something...they're not typically going to issue a citation for reckless driving or failure to maintain your car. Did they cite you only so the garage owner had something for their insurance company? Best of luck.

D

Deleted member 12951

Did the PS pump go out or the steering rack? Or both as you stated?
You can check the rack by lifting up the front and unloading the suspension. Move the wheel/tire and see if there is play in the tie rods by the rack. There is thread on it here and video somewhere.

OP
OP
Camperguy

Camperguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the PS pump go out or the steering rack? Or both as you stated?
You can check the rack by lifting up the front and unloading the suspension. Move the wheel/tire and see if there is play in the tie rods by the rack. There is thread on it here and video somewhere.

Its in the shop now, ill know tuesday.

OP
OP
Camperguy

Camperguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soooo. Insurance company says yes rack is blown but they are not covering it because theres no proof the crash caused it. I said it caused the crash, he said proove it. So im getting it in writing and gotta fight both the insurace and the cops. Yes I got a Lawyer. Dealership wont cover it, insurance adjuster said my truck was still under factory warranty. Dealership says no its not. The story continues....

Bill