"Popping" front end noise during wheel travel...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grantoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was just doing some easy offloading at like 5mph yesterday and noticed my truck makes a popping noise in the front end during wheel travel. Is this the notorious front end "clunk?" Quite loud and was alarming at first... Was scared I broke something.

A little disappointing to have an issue under such easy offloading when these trucks are built to be pushed hard. Can't image what the noise would sound like going 75mph over a bumpy desert trail.

iHaveGas

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have not had this issue but for the most part if I'm doing easy off roading I don't have the 4 wheel drive on.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Could be loose lower shock mount bolts... Mines done this many times, just have to crank down on them and tighten the crap out of it!

Check and see if they're not super tight, you can't really over torque those bad boys.

OP
OP
grantoser

grantoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok maybe that's it... I had my perch setting changed to mid perch at an offroad shop... Maybe they didn't tighten it enough during the reinstall. That would be great if all it needs is a tightening. Is it easy to get to without a lift? Not by my truck at the moment to check it out

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

I have not had this issue but for the most part if I'm doing easy off roading I don't have the 4 wheel drive on.

It does it in 2wd and 4wd... Hopefully its the lower shock as stated...

OP
OP
grantoser

grantoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol got it to tighten about a quarter of a turn... But that's all I could do without breaking my arm. Still made popping noise after... But this could mean it just needs to be tighter... Not sure how I'm going to get it up to 400lbs... My car lift is in use... Prob need to lift the truck and get a long pipe under there on the wrench.

Anyone else thinking this lower bolt is the issue? Anyone else had a popping noise under wheel travel?

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I get a pop noise when i leave a stop from the suspension, and i have 3.0's. It might just be the load shifting. I didnt have it with the stockers.

Proelky

Reaction score
I purchased a 2013 SuperCrew a couple weeks ago and also have a popping noise on the front right of the truck however, my noise occurs under 15mph and on flat ground. I've asked the dealer to verify torque specs on upper/lower shock mounting positions, and the steering rack. I also contacted Ford directly and filed a case with them. I was told that if more people took the time to contact them that Ford would most likely issue a recall or a service bulletin at minimum. The issue stands that Ford deems the noise normal and Fox is saying it's not normal. Unless the shock is physically damaged or leaking the dealer will not warranty it. However, the dealer has no way of determining if the shock is properly charged or assembled correctly. I will update as I move forward.

Ford Customer Service/Support 800-392-3673

captainphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol got it to tighten about a quarter of a turn... But that's all I could do without breaking my arm. Still made popping noise after... But this could mean it just needs to be tighter... Not sure how I'm going to get it up to 400lbs... My car lift is in use... Prob need to lift the truck and get a long pipe under there on the wrench.

Anyone else thinking this lower bolt is the issue? Anyone else had a popping noise under wheel travel?

I had the same issue after mid perch adjustment. Tightened the crap out of everything.....gone!