Poor Design

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ironman for uncovering this ******* design, Thanks to JP for she sealant ideas, looks like I have a project.

PEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, to read this, just drives me crazy! I'm only buying a new truck because I got tired of all the rust on my old '02 F250! Both wheel wells were rusting, and the oil pan, along with the whole underside of the truck! Oh well, good find, and at least we can do something about it!

DocSpooK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, to read this, just drives me crazy! I'm only buying a new truck because I got tired of all the rust on my old '02 F250! Both wheel wells were rusting, and the oil pan, along with the whole underside of the truck! Oh well, good find, and at least we can do something about it!

I'm going outside to silicone my new baby right now. Thanks for helping prevent future problems man.:waytogo:

Mark Ducati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ironman,

I like the idea of using silicone, but that stuff won't come off... here's what I'm going to use: As a dentist, when I take intra-**** impressions for crown, I use a material called "Poly-Vinyl-Siloxane"... PVS.

PVS comes in a heavy body and light body viscosity... when it sets, it feels just like bathtub caulking, but doesn't stick to anything... as a matter of fact, in order to keep it in the impression tray when you take it out of the patients mouth, the trays are perforated for retention of the material and I use an adhesive to help glue it into the tray.

Its got a 7 minute set time and I bet this stuff would work perfectly, yet allow the door sill to be removed when you need to.

Mark Ducati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the other thread too:

-------------------

Hey, I just checked my door sills... when I lift the edge up gently, looking at the clips... there are these yellow rubber gaskets in place! My Raptor is a 2011, is this something Ford already fixed/addressed? Does your Raptor not have these gaskets?

223522_219064904771803_100000048865791_904238_7218167_n.jpg

The moisture you see in the pic is from me just getting back from the local car wash where I used a pressure washer to blast off all the mud and the undercarriage. But my carpet and wires were completely dry.

Raptor2010

Reaction score
Thanks Ironman,

I like the idea of using silicone, but that stuff won't come off... here's what I'm going to use: As a dentist, when I take intra-**** impressions for crown, I use a material called "Poly-Vinyl-Siloxane"... PVS.

PVS comes in a heavy body and light body viscosity... when it sets, it feels just like bathtub caulking, but doesn't stick to anything... as a matter of fact, in order to keep it in the impression tray when you take it out of the patients mouth, the trays are perforated for retention of the material and I use an adhesive to help glue it into the tray.

Its got a 7 minute set time and I bet this stuff would work perfectly, yet allow the door sill to be removed when you need to.
Can anyone get that or just dentist?

DEADEYE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used 3M black rubberized undercoating spray before I had seen this thread . To date it is holding up very well . I had also hit a number of other areas under my truck when it was new . I sprayed as many places as I could where any fasteners or holes were through the floor of the cab . As the truck ages I will use black spray paint to prevent rust on areas such as the frame and axels. I have done this on three previous trucks I have owned and it works great . You just have to make sure the areas are clean and you don't go overboard. Of course watch out for the over spray . Up here in the great white north they use an ass tone of Salt in the winter and it does not take long for surface rust to develop . Sometimes I think the Morton salt girl is banging all the snowplow drivers .