Please help me find my rear end squeak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tdavis

Reaction score
Hey guys hope this is the correct place to post this thread....
2011 screw purchased a month ago n being 129 degrees out in Tx I don't drive with the windows down too often. Noticed a week ago when in parking lot n after braking to take a turn I hear a rather high pitch squeak from rear. I'm thinking rear brakes maybe dragging a bit but I'm no ford tech.

- changed rear diff fluid day after driving home ( with friction modifier) just because I always run synthetic fluids
- checked u joints
- lubed tailgate hinges n rear bed step
- doesn't sound like shocks or rear leafs
- is it worth pulling rear tires n getting some stop squeal on rotors?
- going to the guys at Texas Motorworx soon for a mid perch so maybe they can get it figured out
Thank you for any advice or tips

Last edited:

mkelly984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine comes from the tailgate striker pins, not the hinges. I constantly have to put grease on them to prevent a high pitch squeak. Maybe give that a shot.

WHYUMAD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tailgate. I spray wd40 in the holes on the side of the tailgate where the tailgate catches. Every 2 or 3 months it comes back. I have a procharger with the big red race valve (loud & blows off constantly) & full exhaust with headers & no cats & I could hear the squeak & thought it was from the rear shock/leaf spring area...it was the tailgate.

SchultzLD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is from the spare tire, the damn thing never stays tight; drops down a few inches and squeaks on everything it bumps against.

Spencer4336

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tailgate squeaks all the time over small bumps and pothole, Id give that a look.

Specracer

Reaction score
Mine is the last rear exhaust bracket. Grab the tail pipe and pull up, it stops for a bit. I need to put more effort into a real fix.

svt_reid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tailgate hinges squeak constantly and it's driving me crazy. Anyone have a long term fix? I've been just spraying it with wd40 once a week. Works for a while then the squeak comes back

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My tailgate hinges squeak constantly and it's driving me crazy. Anyone have a long term fix? I've been just spraying it with wd40 once a week. Works for a while then the squeak comes back

WD-40 sucks. It break down real easy in wet locations like the tailgate. Try using some penetrating oil or an aerosol white lithium grease.