Passenger door issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JReese33

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This is my first post. And I have a question. When I unlock the truck, the passenger side door won't open from the outside. Once I open it from the inside, it's fine. Until a lock/unlock sequence.
The truck is a 2011 Supercab. Any help is appreciated

Jason

KOBRA2848

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 2014 I have to hit the unlock button twice to unlock all the doors. If I press the unlock once it only unlocks the drivers door. A second push unlocks the rest.

Mark

OP
OP
JReese33

JReese33

Reaction score
That's not the problem. The door is unlocked. But I can't open the door from the outside until I open it from the inside first, and don't lock/ unlock it

Fyrman702

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also had the same problem with my 2013. All of my doors would intermittently unlock. Sometimes I would have to pry up the lock nob. They clunked really loud and were very squeaky when actuating. I made an appt at the dealer and miraculously they all started working when I went to drop it off.

I left the truck at the dealer for several days and they eventually were able to reproduce the issues.

Ford replaced the actuators on all 4 doors. Now you can barely hear them when they are locking or unlocking. Also replaced the factory third brake light. These were covered under my Ford ESP. I never saw the repair cost but the service writer said the door repair and the brake light were not cheap.

You may be able to do the repair yourself, it looks like the actuators range from $30 to $100 depending on manufacturer.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This is my first post. And I have a question. When I unlock the truck, the passenger side door won't open from the outside. Once I open it from the inside, it's fine. Until a lock/unlock sequence.
The truck is a 2011 Supercab. Any help is appreciated

Jason

I also had the same problem with my 2013. All of my doors would intermittently unlock. Sometimes I would have to pry up the lock nob. They clunked really loud and were very squeaky when actuating. I made an appt at the dealer and miraculously they all started working when I went to drop it off.

I left the truck at the dealer for several days and they eventually were able to reproduce the issues.

Ford replaced the actuators on all 4 doors. Now you can barely hear them when they are locking or unlocking. Also replaced the factory third brake light. These were covered under my Ford ESP. I never saw the repair cost but the service writer said the door repair and the brake light were not cheap.

You may be able to do the repair yourself, it looks like the actuators range from $30 to $100 depending on manufacturer.

Same on my '13 although in my case sometimes the rear lock actuators didn't feel like LOCKING either...not saying I'm paranoid but I'm not going to make it any easier for the ******* thieves. And it's bad enough to have to reach over to open the passenger door when it doesn't unlock and the wife is giving you the evil eye, try crawling in the back of a SCREW when the back doors won't let you in. Not cool.

Solution is new actuators like @Fyrman702 said; online Ford dealers like Tasca or Livermore have them for about $85 a pop. It's on the list and later this year I'll do that along with Dynamat & butyl rope on the doors, considering rigging up some kind of plastic bag for those actuators that will allow the rods to move and keep the dust out, but I'm not 100% sure if it's dust or ****** design or thermal resistance that causes them to fail (there's a ton of threads on here about failures, especially during or after hard runs, most of the early ones were lucky enough to get warranty coverage).

Temporary fix is pull them out, hose them down with WD40 or whatever flavor light oil you like, and free up the gear/mechanism the best you can. That'll last a while, I took the pics below about a year ago and actually disassembled one (like plastic riveted, definitely not user serviceable) and haven't had any issues until a week or two ago when one was being a bitch, luckily just once and hasn't again since. Good luck.

Attachments

• 20170506_132111.jpg
    20170506_132111.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20170506_142216.jpg
    20170506_142216.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
JReese33

JReese33

Reaction score
So, anyone in the Salt Lake area that knows how to fix this? I've done a lot of work on vehicles in the past. But doors always kicked my ass