Oil on tie rod boot.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just changed my oil and I noticed my right tie rod boot has some oil on it. Upon further inspection I see small tear. My fluid is at the low mark on the resivor. Could my rack be leaking oil? Power steering is quiet and seems to functioning well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I did just have my front shocks replaced at the dealer under warranty.

BajaTaxi

IG @the_baja_taxi
Reaction score
I would say give it a good cleaning, keep an eye on it and go from there. It could be residual from the latest services.

"Roads? Where we are going we don't need roads." Doc Brown

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you see damage to the boot and oil leaking out of it and still have warranty left, take it in and tell them they missed it. Wouldn't be the first time something got banged by a shock and suddenly caused an issue. Just an FYI, the racks can go out slowly or all at once.....

OP
OP
Wfo

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. My warranty expires around thanksgiving. I also have a set of RPG tie rods I need to install.

D

Deleted member 12951

If you think you "might" be having issues with power steering, I would hold off on upgrading the tie rods especially if your warranty is just for a few more months.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. My warranty expires around thanksgiving. I also have a set of RPG tie rods I need to install.
You shouldn't be getting oil out of the tie rod boot. There is a white grease in there, but no fluid.

Warranty won't cover a torn boot, but you certainly can ask.

Is the power steering giving any other symptoms?

Are you on mid or high perch?
@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
Drive your raptor here!!!!
www.runraptorrun.com
( * Y * )

OP
OP
Wfo

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You shouldn't be getting oil out of the tie rod boot. There is a white grease in there, but no fluid.

Warranty won't cover a torn boot, but you certainly can ask.

Is the power steering giving any other symptoms?

Are you on mid or high perch?
@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
Drive your raptor here!!!!
Great Lakes Raptor Excursions (GLRE) | Run Raptor Run
( * Y * )
I'm on mid perch with oem springs, need to install my geiser springs soon. I was getting some shaking in the steering wheel at highway speeds, I had my methods rebalanced twice with no change. I've been thinking its a worn tie rod ,the shaking seem to have gone away this week by itself. Weird!

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just changed my oil and I noticed my right tie rod boot has some oil on it. Upon further inspection I see small tear. My fluid is at the low mark on the resivor. Could my rack be leaking oil? Power steering is quiet and seems to functioning well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I did just have my front shocks replaced at the dealer under warranty.

How did you get the dealer to replace the shocks, I tried with out any luck. I had even contacted Crystal (Ford Service Rep.) about it.

OP
OP
Wfo

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How did you get the dealer to replace the shocks, I tried with out any luck. I had even contacted Crystal (Ford Service Rep.) about it.

I went to the dealer and told them both front shocks were leaking oil and asked if they would cover them under warranty. Guess I got lucky, was on mid perch too. The mechanic put the springs back on mid perch when he installed to new shocks.

OP
OP
Wfo

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update. I went to the dealer today and they say the rack looks fine. They topped off the res. And ordered me a new boot to replace the torn one. I guess I'll take their word because there isn't any whining or lack of steering power. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one.