OEM HID Headlamp Reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is not a "problem" but a question. I like the OEM HID lights on the raptor, but have any of you heard or experienced them failing or going out? According to the extended warranty "Not Covered Items", HID assemblies fall under that category.

I have never experienced stock HID lamps going out in any of my other vehicles, so I'm assuming the Raptors ones are just as robust over time.

David

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
RaptorEnthusiast,
My 2013 now has 66,000 miles and other than the shutter on the left headlight being sluggish in cold weather they've been rock solid with nary a flicker...

Eddie

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
David,
The HID lights have a steady light output. When you dim the lights a shutter blocks off part of the beam...you can see how sharp the cut off is at night when you pull up to a white building/garage door and turn the lights on high then dim them....
From day one the left headlight would be sluggish to dim in cold weather on my 2013. As the headlight warmed up the shutter would speed up to the same speed as the right headlight. Never any problem above 40 degrees or so...

Eddie

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
David,
I'm pretty sure this is an isolated idiosyncrasy.
I think the shutter raises from the bottom to block the lower portion of the beam, (like the human lens light is inverted through the projector lens). Thus raising the shutter goes against gravity. I've not heard of others with this problem. Again after a very short time even in sub zero weather the left shutter will work normally. Depending on how cold it is it might take a minute or so for the left shutter to work as fast as the right. It's only those rare occasions when starting up in the cold and immediately heading into traffic that you can see oncoming traffic affected. Sit for a minute and the problem is no longer...
Eddie

OP
OP
RaptorEnthusiast

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks for explaining. I'm glad to learn/hear that generally speaking, the HID headlamps are reliable for the "life" of the raptor. That is one part I would not want to have to replace.

David

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
You can include them when you buy the extended warranty for around $100. Check if you can have them added.