Odd surging when first started up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justafordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed an odd surging when I first start driving the truck in the morning. If I am moving along at a steady slow speed (aboout 1000 rpm) the engine will drop back to idle for a few seconds and then rev back to 1000. It does this for the first few minutes and then it's fine. It's a 2012, 200 miles on it, all stock except Magnaflow cat back exhaust. Any ideas?

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
not sure if its the same thing but when I start my truck in the morning it definitely idles higher until it warms up a bit then it slowly returns to 700rpm or so

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Justafordguy

Justafordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is after it idles back to about 500rpms. I put it in gear and start moving down my long driveway. I hold it at about 1000rpms and it just drops back to 500 for a few seconds and then back to 1000. The truck speeds up and slows down as I go down the driveway. After a few minutes it will stay at 1000rpms just fine.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does yours do this every cold start? Mine only does it once in a while

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
well your practically idling in the manual it says to just drive it and not worry about more than a second or two of worm up time the climate I live in in the winter it can get to 20 below easily I let it worm up more than. this is a big engine with lots of power so you notice the reving all engine's do it just not to the existent of the 6.2 truck.

OP
OP
Justafordguy

Justafordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It only does it the first time I start it in the morning. If I let it idle it stays right at 500 but if I try to hold it at 1000 it keeps dropping back to 500 and then back to 1000, over and over again. If I hold it over 1500 it will stay.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I retract my first statement. It does not seem I am experiencing the same thing you are. When I cold start the truck and try to drive off immediately, first gear will be sticky meaning that first gear is held for a long time (not sure what rpm) but once it starts to warm up it's fine for me.

RatedSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
not sure if its the same thing but when I start my truck in the morning it definitely idles higher until it warms up a bit then it slowly returns to 700rpm or so

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

This is all I get too......Justafordguy have you asked Ford about your concern?

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2012 does not do this. I want to say it idles a little high when first starting if I leave it sitting (auto-choke type thing?), but it doesn't mess around with it once I'm driving - even if I start driving immediately.