Newbie Needs Inspection HELP - TUNE ISSUES!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deanwam8

Reaction score
Hello All...I just purchased my bucket list truck - 6.2L 2011 Supercrew. I bought it from Florida and had it shipped up here to NY. Here is my issue:

According to the listing it was tuned with an SCT X3. I was under the impression this meant that it would come with the handheld unit. It did not. Apparently it was taken to a performance shop in FL and tuned on site. My issue now is that it will not pass NYS Inspection because all the monitors have been disabled...I'm guessing due to the tune. The truck has the following that may play a role in my dilemma:

AirRaid Cold Air Intake
Borla Exhaust with Headers

I called SCT and spoke with a rep. He said the truck must be flashed back to stock and then run x number of miles for a power cycle to be complete. But then he said running the truck stock with the Cold Air intake will cause it to run lean and that may overheat the truck and cause damage. Huh??? I was under the impression that CAI's were put on trucks all the time without being tuned....is he correct?? This is turning into a giant headache as I can't pass inspection...I have no Tuning unit and he is telling me that my truck will require a custom tune because SCT (or Bully D. for that matter) don't have stock tunes which account for the CAI. He says it must be done at a local performance shop in my area....which I have yet to find. I was under the impression that I would be able to just take it to a dealership...have it flashed back to stock...purchase a new hand held device and retune it. Do I really need a customized tune from a special shop because of the CAI? I can't believe SCT wouldn't have one that would work for my mods....Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks so much...

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the cold air intake would hurt the truck no matter what. The hardest part will be getting it tuned back to stock since it didn't come with the tuner and the stock truck tune on there. All trucks are different so to tune back to stock I'd think only a Ford dealer could re tune it.

The handheld tuners usually keep a copy of the trucks unique stock tune and without it I think Ford will just have to reflash it.

The intake shouldn't cause any issues at all. The headers and exaust might have cut out a few sensors and the tune could have cut them off.

You're best bet would probably be to get Ford to stock flash it and remove the tune and then retune it after the check with a new tuner and tunes of your own. What the people did in Florida is not the norm. You sell a truck tuned with the tuner or return it to stock tune before selling it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Deanwam8

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice....Looks like I'll be visiting my Ford dealership....then figuring out which Tuner to go with...thanks again!

OP
OP
D

Deanwam8

Reaction score
Hello Again....so now it seems that I have solved the first issue....I can get a Ford dealership to flash it back to stock...but it has headers and no catalytic converter. I called 5* to ask if they could send me a Tuner that could correct at least for the headers and he said they won't do that any.ore because of EPA regulations...is this true? There are tons of people on here who have gotten help...this is turning into an insane cluster* lol. Am I going to have to get rid of my headers to even pass inspection now?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your kind of screwed, but it is fixable with money.
And you have to find a mod friendly Ford dealer if you can, with a tech that is knowledgeable with modding and Tuning.

I believe you miss understood 5*, Cold Air Intake is OK.......even headers...... but No Cats is a BIG NO NO.
SVC and JDM can help you out too.

You can keep the headers, the problem is no cats!!!
There is no EPA/50 State legal Tune out there for no cats.
Tuners can only turn off the rear O2s so it doesn't through codes.
But your PCM will never complete a drive cycle to be ready for inspection.
It will always say not ready or incomplete.

First, lets hope your O2 wiring isn't damaged or corroded.
You will need to buy good aftermarket Green Cats or OEM ones and have them welded in.
Then you need to use rear O2 spacers, this way the rear O2s can stay on and complete the drive cycle to pass inspection.
Depending how they put your existing exhaust together you may need some tubing parts.
Can you see if you have all four O2s on the exhaust?

All this information is on this forum.

Side note: the SCT X3 is discontinued the new handheld device is the X4 and others.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deanwam8

Reaction score
Thanks

Your kind of screwed, but it is fixable with money.
And you have to find a mod friendly Ford dealer if you can, with a tech that is knowledgeable with modding and Tuning.

I believe you miss understood 5*, Cold Air Intake is OK.......even headers...... but No Cats is a BIG NO NO.
SVC and JDM can help you out too.

You can keep the headers, the problem is no cats!!!
There is no EPA/50 State legal Tune out there for no cats.
Tuners can only turn off the rear O2s so it doesn't through codes.
But your PCM will never complete a drive cycle to be ready for inspection.
It will always say not ready or incomplete.

First, lets hope your O2 wiring isn't damaged or corroded.
You will need to buy good aftermarket Green Cats or OEM ones and have them welded in.
Then you need to use rear O2 spacers, this way the rear O2s can stay on and complete the drive cycle to pass inspection.
Depending how they put your existing exhaust together you may need some tubing parts.
Can you see if you have all four O2s on the exhaust?

All this information is on this forum.

Side note: the SCT X3 is discontinued the new handheld device is the X4 and others.

Thank you very much. You answered several of my questions already. I will find out if I still have all 4 O2 sensors. I obviously have to get CATs...it's unavoidable.
Question#1: Do you happen to have any recommendations where I can get good aftermarket ones?
Question#2: would it be less of a hassle to get aftermarket CATs...lose the headers (sell them if possible) and just get a new exhaust?

Also, I will def buy a newer Tuner from 5*...once I get everything flashed back to stock, get CATs and (either keep headers or possibly remove and get new exhaust) I will retune it myself....then get inspection. I have an inspection station that will help me out as long as I don't have any codes... I know I have a lot of questions..but I really appreciate your help. Thanks again...

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Deanwam8 Keep the Headers!
Find a good exhaust shop that does stainless steel Tig or Mig welding, you can use stick welding but it would be my last choice.

Let me ask you this,
would you be willing to drive 4 to 5 hours to three of the places that would do it all? (Cats, O2 spacers, X4 SCT Tuner and Tunes)

I would recommend Tasca Racing at Tasca Ford in Cranton R.I. (They have like 7 dealerships)
They are connected with SVC Tunes.
If you choose to go there, I will PM you the person you need to talk to.
This is were I and others go for our SC Raptors.

Then you have two shops in N.J.
JDM and JDM Tunes
And Krazy House Customs. Will go with any Tune you want.

All three are very knowledgeable about our Raptors!!!
All of them have customized hundreds of them, it would be a cake walk for them.
And will be able to get everything at a good price.

It would be more expensive going this route but it will get done right and no headaches.
Doing it yourself is cheaper if you can find the right shops that know what their doing.

All the supporting vendors on this site will get you the best prices.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deanwam8

Reaction score
@Deanwam8 Keep the Headers!

Find a good exhaust shop that does stainless steel Tig or Mig welding, you can use stick welding but it would be my last choice.

Let me ask you this,

would you be willing to drive 4 to 5 hours to three of the places that would do it all? (Cats, O2 spacers, X4 SCT Tuner and Tunes)

I would recommend Tasca Racing at Tasca Ford in Cranton R.I. (They have like 7 dealerships)

They are connected with SVC Tunes.

If you choose to go there, I will PM you the person you need to talk to.

This is were I and others go for our SC Raptors.

Then you have two shops in N.J.

JDM and JDM Tunes

And Krazy House Customs. Will go with any Tune you want.

All three are very knowledgeable about our Raptors!!!

All of them have customized hundreds of them, it would be a cake walk for them.

And will be able to get everything at a good price.

It would be more expensive going this route but it will get done right and no headaches.

Doing it yourself is cheaper if you can find the right shops that know what their doing.

All the supporting vendors on this site will get you the best prices.

@MTF...This is really great information....I really appreciate it. I would absolutely be willing to drive to get things done right....as long as I can possibly afford it. I would like to get some more info from you as to next steps to take ....so would like to switch to PM... I really appreciate it!
Dean

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk