Warning about rear window defrosters!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramrodthrusterpuppy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exploding Rear Defroster...The Sequel!

So.....my rear window defroster shorted and shattered the rear glass again...this time on my 2012 Raptor! At least it didn't catch fire this time....so that's a plus! lol!

Here's my original thread from two years ago...

http://www.************.com/showthread.php?t=16049

Was just warming the truck up this morning after a big snowfall, started up my snowblower (maybe that's why I didn't hear the big pop), got back in to move the truck out of the driveway and noticed the driver's side shattered in the frame. Time to go back to the dealer (just got the truck back 2 days ago after getting some warranty repairs addressed) and get this fixed. I know Ford will replace the window but I don't expect any explanation as to the cause. Haven't heard anything since the first time over two years ago, but I will be taking it up with Ford Customer care.

I thought I was gun shy about using the rear defroster after the first time it happened, now I think I'll just have the button removed! lol!

k8cq.jpg

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that just about does it. I've heard so much about this over the past few weeks that I just went to the garage and pulled the rear defroster leads. Maybe you can pull a fuse instead but I was too lazy to look it up. I never use the rear defrost and have it disabled in the remote start but I could just see someone hitting it by accident once and boom.

Here's the location not that anyone really needs the help lol.

8ahy6a9u.jpg

bapesepa.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1391381016335.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391381016335.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 104

Java

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry ramrod. history repeats itself. sure wish Ford could make this problem go away

COBRA90GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doh!

Wonder if a TSB will ever be released to address this issue. Hopefully Ford won't have this same problem on the new next generation 2015 F-150s...

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've heard of this happening with rear windows under extreme temps. How cold out was it when you hit the rear defrost? Did you warm up the cab first?

Last edited:

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use mine all the time with no isues yet, maybe I should stop while I'm ahead?

gordhunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using mine for years with no issues and it gets down to -40 here

Sent from my S4

GearTripper

Reaction score
This has been known to happen across the entire F-150 line.

Also, it wasn't that cold out, maybe -5 C or so (23 F). I think moisture/poor design is more of a factor.

I wonder how bad things might get with the new design as one solid piece of glass across the back (sans center slider). Instead of just panels of glass being replaced, people will have to replace the whole rear window on the newer models... if shatter occurs.