New (to me) '14 Raptor might have to go back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jskwarek

Reaction score
Well, got all excited when I found an all option 2014 Raptor for sale, locally. Picked it up from a local hole in the wall dealership in Texas. We have to do smog inspection in my area and they had yet to get that done. Told them no problem I would run it by a friends shop the next day and have it done. They told me great, bring us the receipt and we'll reimburse you.

Took it to the shop after putting about 500 miles on it driving to OK and back. Both Catalyst and O2 Sensor Heaters are in a "not ready" status, so failed. Looked under the truck and it's got the Ford Racing Borla touring exhaust but the original cats off the headers are still there. Also has an AFE Stage 2 intake on it. I think maybe the truck was tuned but the truck didn't come with a tuner so I have to take it back up to them early next week for them to look at. Hopefully they can take it to Ford and have them reset the ECM back to original spec. If not, it won't pass emissions and they legally can't sell the car, so they'll have to refund me.

Question for this group, does the AFE intake require a tune? I wouldn't think it would as the tube size doesn't look very large but trying to get ahead of the dealer and figure out what else might need to be done for when I take it in.

Jason

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You don't need a tune for an intake- although I'd toss that bitch in the trash and ask the dealer to install a stock airbox and paper filter if it were mine.

OP
OP
J

jskwarek

Reaction score
Yea, that's the ultimate plan. I've never been a fan of any CAI. I've been doing the hotrod thing for 25+ years, have yet to see one do anything more than cost money.

Dealer wants me to bring the truck back Monday so they can resolve the issue. My guess is it'll need to be flashed back to "as built data" at Ford. I highly doubt the hole in the wall dealer has an IDS.

Jason

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll admit it was a bit tough to do, but I took a K&N drop in filter out of my truck (installed by PO) and put a paper filter in it's place. Exactly the opposite of 16 year old me and my first truck.

SVTLOPEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a afe cai on mine and it passes inspection in Texas. I'm almost certain it's missing cats or the cats aren't working properly. Does it have long tubes?

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First let me say good luck getting the truck, hope you do! If the dealer has gotta fix it to sell it he might as well do it for you, whatever it takes.
I will be the opposing person, I like CAI intakes, put um on everything I have and do own. Mainly I think they do a better job of filtering stuff out. Prolly not as important for the Vette on pavement as it is for the Raptor in dirt/dust, but hey they both got it.
With headers as well as custom exhaust it would seem that the CAI is a minimal thing here. Have a look at the top of your engine. If above the throttle body there is a big box with 6.2 on it, then you just have the filter. If the tube goes from the filter box to the throttle body without the above box, ya got the whole system. Either way I cannot see this being the cause of the fail. I would bet the change of everything you have stated together has caused it. Not to fret, look in the for sale area and eBay, stock exhaust and intake stuff is there all the time. Cheap! Put on what you gotta, pass the gubberment test, then make her yours how you like! Good Luck!!

marilynsride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do a search "o2 sensors headers" all kinds of discussion on modifying/bypassing o2 sensors when headers installed, that is where i would start