Neutral

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evanscott29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering what the ford techs on here knew about shifting into N and then to D while moving. I've noticed if I shift to N going down hills and then obviously back to drive when the hill levels off or what not it makes a huge difference to how far I can coast. But I have read a lot of literature about how shifting to D while moving will slowly destroy the tranny. I do not know too much about automatic trannys since this is my first one I've ever owned, between my cars as well as my family's cars.

LONGISLANDRAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry you never got any replies sooner. Shifting to neutral from drive going downhill eliminates engine breaking, this is why it coasts further.

Shifting out of N to D while moving is ok as long as engine RPM is at idle.

OP
OP
Evanscott29

Evanscott29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries man. Just trying to figure it out. I know how a manual works in both a motorcycle and a car, that ones a wet clutch and ones a dry clutch respectively hence why you drag a wet clutch because it won't do the damage like on a dry clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Evanscott29

Evanscott29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha if someone would answer sooner there wouldn't be a month between posts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk