Need Help with Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HawkeyeRaptor1

Reaction score
So yesterday I took my nephew for a joy ride in my screw and since the fields were still a little too wet to get some good speed going, we decided to race around my neighborhood which is currently undeveloped other than the infrastructure. We only took two laps but when we were done my brakes were basically failing. When I pulled into my driveway, they were smoking with a distinct smell that was emitting from my truck. As I pulled into my garage, the brakes were squealing and slipping. This morning on the way to work there seemed to be a lot of play and not much stopping power behind the brakes. I have an appointment with the dealership tomorrow but was curious if I ruined something? The truck is a 13 and only has 20k miles on it. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were you power sliding around corners in the dirt? The anti skid computer uses the brakes to try to counteract that. On the F150 you can't turn it off completely.

OP
OP
H

HawkeyeRaptor1

Reaction score
I got a little sideways in the mud, but got out quick because I didn't want to get stuck. Instead we raced around the neighborhood on the paved roads. It was more so 5 - 10 minutes of rapid acceleration and deceleration while taking corners on the pavement ... Nothing that I didn't think the truck couldn't handle.

6gun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect your Parking-brake shoes (yellow arrows) are dragging or out of adjustment if they are getting hot enough to smell. Check the P-brake cable. Tight when not engaged? Cable binding? If not the cable, the shoes or shoe actuators might be stuck. Also, how are the disk pads/rotors? Any signs of which one(s) may be getting hot? Which one(s) smell? One? All? If just the rears, this would point to the P-Brake shoes dragging. Fix now, they can catch on fire and burn shit up. If they are set up as below, the inner brake shoes (see arrows below) can drag on the inside of the rear brake rotor and those pups will get hot...and in a hell of a hurry. Bet you a doughnut it's the P-Brake shoes/cable.....IJS.

Also, if the disk pads (#3) are gone and you have metal to metal....again, hotness will ensue pretty rapidly, but they will also make a hell of a gawd awful scraping noise. Not really all that likely the disk brake pads with only 20K on the truck.

I am pretty sure you weren't riding the brake since the truck-nanny won't let you power brake it (****** me off). Just some ideas.

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

6gun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P.S. Also, you didn't ruin anything that a liberal application of Benjimin's finest won't fix....

I fixed a buddy's Cad SRX rear brakes the other day (just for fun), where the rear caliper bolts had come all the way out and the caliper had fallen off....or as Ron White would say "the caliper had fallen the **** off, FALLEN THE **** OFF." It was literally dangling from the brake line and wedged and riding between the axle and the inner part of the wheel. Talk about making a racket....ugh..... Fixed it for $120 in parts, a Rocky Patel 6x52 Toro and a Jameson 12yr old - neat of course.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
I've seen these caliper bolts back off before on raptors. I'd bet they're fine. Just wet and hot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6gun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen these caliper bolts back off before on raptors. I'd bet they're fine. Just wet and hot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh, yea, forgot one possible option....they were just wet and hot. And, if that's the case, that's 2 things that are fun wet and hot.

Good catch Trey.

Let us know what the dealer says.