Motor Failure with no warning!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So with my limited understanding of engines, here is the case so far. Cylinder 2 lost compression and there was scoring and piston slap evidence on that side of the motor. Since the other side of the motor appears to be fine, this will be a short block install vs. a complete long block. Apparently, and according to the dealer, short blocks are on back order and won't even be here till November 24. This is two additional weeks than I was initially told so I'm stuck in a little rental car till then which is hurting my business since I have to have a truck. I wish something could be done about that. Here is the truck as she sits now.

Apparently, this isn't a common issue and until the techs are able to get under the piston, they won't be able to determine the root cause of the issue?? All very interesting at this point but should I be worried that I'm only getting the short block replaced and not a new long block? Or is this essentially just as good?
Just make sure that the new short block comes with a new oil pump, or the dealer installs a new one, if they refuse to install one, pay for it yourself( shouldn't have to go that route). Keep us posted.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just make sure that the new short block comes with a new oil pump, or the dealer installs a new one, if they refuse to install one, pay for it yourself( shouldn't have to go that route). Keep us posted.

I would see if they would install the upgraded oil pump gears that they make for it if you buy the gears. Makes the oil pump bullet proof

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
... Apparently, and according to the dealer, short blocks are on back order and won't even be here till November 24. This is two additional weeks than I was initially told so I'm stuck in a little rental car till then which is hurting my business since I have to have a truck. I wish something could be done about that....

Hi TexasTexas95,

Have you mentioned the rental issue to your CSM? They could look into the possibility of getting you into a different vehicle. I checked out your case notes and see that your CSM will be following up with you tomorrow; I'd recommend bringing this up then. Thanks for keeping us updated!

Crystal

OP
OP
TexasTexas95

TexasTexas95

Reaction score
Crystal, thanks for checking up on all that for me. Motor came in today and the techs will be working on it starting this afternoon. I'll keep everyone posted on the process and try to snap a few pics of the process of I'm able to go down to the dealership. I am not worried about my little rental car right now since the expected completion date will be sooner than the 24th. I can suffer through this for a few more days :)

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Crystal, thanks for checking up on all that for me. Motor came in today and the techs will be working on it starting this afternoon. I'll keep everyone posted on the process and try to snap a few pics of the process of I'm able to go down to the dealership. I am not worried about my little rental car right now since the expected completion date will be sooner than the 24th. I can suffer through this for a few more days :)

You're welcome, TexasTexas95! I know it's hard being without your Raptor; I'm sure everyone is doing all they can to make sure you're behind the wheel again soon. :)

Crystal

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Because pulling the cab is much easier, taking off the front clip involves pulling the fenders and grill, hood, and then realigning all those parts. just much easier to pull the cab.

6gun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because pulling the cab is much easier, taking off the front clip involves pulling the fenders and grill, hood, and then realigning all those parts. just much easier to pull the cab.

No doubt easier access to everything with the cab gone, but the font clip is gone too....probably easier to dial in all the alignments with the cab loose, but damn. If i walked into the shop for a short block replacement and found my truck like this, I would have a freaking Hereford right there on the spot.